Our specialist healthcare lawyers offer sound practical legal advice and assistance to a variety of clients across the sector. Having advised on legal matters for healthcare clients for decades, our team understands the complex and diverse requirements that healthcare law creates for the sector and the realities for those working at the coalface of medicine.
We advise established public and private Hospitals and those developing and building new centres on all of the legal health issues that affect them, including corporate structuring and clinical governance, risk management strategies, regulatory compliance and accreditation, professional discipline, medico-legal advice, data privacy, employment law, construction, property transactions and technology agreements.
Our contentious practice is unrivalled, having been involved in many of the leading Irish medical negligence cases instructed by public and private insurers and directly by institutions themselves.
Drawing from specialist expertise across the firm, we also advise a wide range of businesses who provide services to the healthcare sector, including pharmaceutical and MedTech companies.
Healthcare and Medical Law Services:
Governance and regulation, including:
- Accreditation and Licensing
- Professional Regulation
- Clinical Audit
Medico-legal advice, including:
- Medical law & ethics, including consent and confidentiality
- Drafting risk management policies & procedures
- Human assisted reproduction
- Mental Health Law
- Child Protection issues
- Interaction between healthcare professionals and industry (ie. gifts/entertainment)
- Clinical trials
- Privacy & Data Security: Including data protection & freedom of information law.
- Health and Safety
- Clinical Negligence and professional indemnity
- Coroners inquests
- Disciplinary hearings/Fitness to practice inquiries
- Statutory Investigations and Inquiries, and Tribunals of inquiry
- Judicial review and statutory appeals
- Product Liability
Legal 500, 2020
"They have a deep understanding and expertise in the sector".
Chambers & Partners, 2019
Distinguished disputes practice renowned for “level of expertise, attention to detail, compassion, support and understanding are second to none."
Chambers & Partners, 2019
“Client service is consistent, efficient, responsive and commercially pragmatic”.
Legal 500, 2019
“Personal service, integrity, and commercial and practical advice”.
- Advising a number of major acute public and private Hospitals, including the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin, the National Rehabilitation Hospital, Dun Laoghaire, St. Vincent’s Hospital , Fairview and St Patrick’s University Hospital, in relation to a variety of medico-legal matters.
- Representing a number of Hospitals, instructed by the State Claims Agency in defence of medical negligence proceedings.
- Advising the Health and Information Quality Authority in respect of a number of high profile statutory investigations into the care provided at acute general and obstetric Hospitals.
- Advising the Health Service Executive and the State Claims Agency in relation to on-going product liability litigation against DePuy.
- Advising Virtus Health on its acquisition of a 70% interest in Ireland’s largest IVF provider, SIMS IVF, for €15.49 million, and of the HARI Unit of the Rotunda Hospital.