Keelin is a partner in our Dispute Resolution team specialising in medical law litigation, medical law advisory matters and mental health law
Keelin has over 20 years litigation experience and predominantly advises a number of Ireland’s general hospitals, clinicians and healthcare professionals in all aspects of the defence and management of complex malpractice claims for the clinical indemnity scheme.
Keelin has particular expertise and interest in mental health law advising a number of psychiatric institutions and professionals in all aspects of the complex legislation in this area.
Keelin regularly appears in the Coroner’s Court representing hospitals, psychiatric institutions, clinicians and professional staff.
Prior to joining the medical litigation team, Keelin worked extensively in dispute resolution personal injury litigation and child law.
- Medical Malpractice Law
- Medical Law
- Mental Health Law
- Inherent Jurisdiction Applications/Judicial Review
- Representing hospitals, clinicians healthcare professionals and clinics in all aspects of the management and defence of malpractice litigation.
- Advising hospital management and clinicians on a wide range of medico-legal issues affecting medical practice including patient capacity, consent, infectious diseases, data protection, patient management and compiling reports.
- Advising hospital management and clinicians on all aspects of the Mental Health Acts and in particular on the complex issues of lawful detention and capacity.
- Representing Mental Health Institutions in applications for emergency High Court Orders authorising the approach to treatment of incapacitated patients.
Legal 500, 2020:
Keelin is "very able and specialises in the are of medical negligence cases".
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
- Medicine and The Law: UCD Higher Diploma in Midwifery
- Workshop on Informed Consent – Primary Care Group