Kevin leads our Healthcare and Medical Law team, specialising in healthcare and life sciences law & regulation. He is a former practising medical doctor, which gives him a particular insight into the issues and challenges facing the healthcare sector.
He advises a number of Ireland’s major obstetric, general and psychiatric hospitals in both public and private sectors, for the Clinical Indemnity Scheme, and for a number of leading Irish & multinational pharmaceutical, medical device and food companies. He has particular expertise in the defence of complex high value clinical negligence cases, advocacy and product liability litigation. Kevin also advises a wide range of clients in the healthcare and life sciences sectors on various regulatory issues including advertising, product safety & recall and regulatory enforcement.
- Medical Malpractice Law
- Healthcare Law
- Mental Health Law
- Regulatory Law: Pharmaceutical, Healthcare & Food
- Representative: Acting for hospitals, healthcare professionals and pharmaceutical/medical device companies in the defence of clinical negligence and product liability litigation, including:
- The Clinical Indemnity Scheme of the State Claims Agency in defence of multiple proceedings on behalf of Tallaght, Beaumont, Mater & other major Irish Hospitals
- On behalf of Quest Diagnostics Inc, a US Fortune 500 company, in defence of professional negligence proceedings
- A €5m settlement in respect of a Plaintiff who suffered a ruptured posterior communicating aneurysm and associated stroke and catastrophic injuries;
- Allergan Ltd in the defence of product liability proceedings
- Advisory: Acting for hospitals and clinicians on a wide range of legal, ethical & regulatory issues including patient capacity, consent, corporate and clinical governance, clinical trials and investigations of medical devices, risk management policies and data protection/freedom of information law in the healthcare sector.
- Regulatory and Transactional: Acting for healthcare and life sciences clients on a variety of regulatory issues affecting the sector, including:
- Member of Healthcare Assurance Committee advising the Board of Bartra Capital Property Group on healthcare regulatory aspects of potential acquisitions of nursing homes and other healthcare facilities
- Advising Renew Health Limited, a leading US owned medical technologies company, on regulatory issues in respect of its products
Chambers & Partners, 2020
Kevin is "excellent at assessing the full extent of the issue and giving clear, definitive advice".
Legal 500, 2020
"Kevin Power is an excellent lawyer who specialises in medial negligence cases".
Chambers & Partners, 2019
Provides “unique insights into clinical negligence cases."
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
Kevin is a frequent speaker on healthcare related topics, including:
- Seminar on the Reform of the Mental Health Act (co-hosted by MHC and St Patrick’s Mental Health Services)
- ‘General Practitioners and the Law’ to the Law and General Practice Seminar Series, Sutherland School of Law, UCD (January 2018)
- ‘Lessons from Litigation & the role of the Healthcare Solicitor’ to Graduate Diploma in healthcare, UCD (October 2017)
Product Liability in Ireland (Ireland chapter) - Getting the Deal Through, 2019
Product Liability and Safety in Ireland: Overview - Thomson Reuters, 2019