Ger is a partner in our Employment Law & Benefits team. He advises employers in the public and private sector on all employment law and industrial relations issues. Ger acts for clients in various employment claims such as unfair dismissal, equality/discrimination, occupational stress, fixed-term and part-time work, restraint of trade, strikes and picketing.
Ger has extensive experience in advising on all aspects of the termination of employment including redundancy and collective redundancy, unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal and constructive dismissal. He provides expert support to the firm’s corporate clients on the various employment law issues arising in the context of mergers and acquisitions. This includes in-depth due diligence exercises, compliance reviews, negotiating employee-related indemnities and warranties and advising on the applicability of the European Communities (Protection of Employees on Transfer of Undertakings) Regulations 2003.
- Employment law
- Industrial relations law
- Immigration law
- Regular point of contact for a large number of private and public organisations in relation to both contentious and non-contentious employment law and industrial relations issues. Such organisations include UBS Bank, Kerry Group, Intel, Xerox, Facebook, Renault Ireland, Bord Gáis Éireann and RBS.
- Acted for a large financial institution in a gender discrimination case.
- Acted for a large financial institution in successfully defending a High Court injunction application where an employee sought to challenge her suspension on the grounds of gross misconduct.
- Acted for Kerry Foods, part of the Kerry Group, in securing a High Court injunction to restrain picketing on its plant following an industrial dispute. Of particular interest and a somewhat new concept before the court was the issue of the use of social media in a trade dispute.
- Advised a financial institution on its obligations under the European Communities (Protection of Employees on the Transfer of Undertakings) Regulations 2003 on its sale of part of its business.
- Acted for a number of financial institutions in relation to their obligation both in the sale and purchase of loan portfolio books.
Chambers and Partners, 2018
"He gives sound advice and listens to us."
Chambers and Partners, 2016
"Down-to-earth style that resonates with clients."
Chambers and Partners, 2015
Praised for his "straightforward and business-centric approach."
Legal 500, 2015
European Legal 500
Ger Connolly provides “strong specialist knowledge”.
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
- External Examiner in Employment Law for the Law Society.
- Lecturer in Employment Law on the Law Society’s Diploma in Employment Law.
- Ger has presented at numerous IBA and other events in the US and Europe and has also written articles for Irish and European trade and legal publications on employment issues.
- Ger has published a chapter on International Employment and Secondment, to include immigration in a leading Irish employment law text, and has spoken at the last number of Legal Island Annual Review of Employment Law conferences on topics such as sick leave, redundancy and long-term absenteeism.
Areas of Expertise
Employment Law & Benefits Law
Employee Incentives & Benefits
Member of the International Labor Law Section of the American Bar Association (ABA)
Member of the European Employment Lawyers Association (EELA)
Member of the Association of Employment Lawyers Ireland (ELAI)
University College Dublin, BCL
University College Dublin, Diploma Employment Law
Member, Law Society of Ireland