Martin is a partner in our Corporate team and Head of Life Sciences. He has extensive international experience in corporate law, particularly in the ICT, Life Sciences and Financial Services sectors. Martin has acted in some of the most high-profile M&A transactions in Ireland in recent years.
Martin’s corporate practice focuses on advising Irish and international businesses on mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and private equity transactions, reorganisations and fundraisings.
Martin has an MBA from Cranfield University, School of Management and was a recipient of the J.P. O'Reilly Scholarship from the Law Society of Ireland.
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Venture Capital
- Life Sciences
Awards & Recognition
Who’s Who Legal: Life Sciences 2018
Recommended for Transactional
Ireland - Biotechnology Law and Venture Capital Law
Award for Healthcare & Life Sciences in Ireland
- Acted for Global Shares plc, a leading provider of equity compensation management solutions to global corporations on a significant private equity investment by Motive Partners.
- Acted for the main shareholders on the sale of Sam McCauley Chemists to Cardinal Carlyle Ireland, the private equity fund established by The Carlyle Group (Nasdaq:CG).
- Represented Information Services Corporation (TSX:ISV) on the acquisition of Enterprise Registry Solutions, a global leader in the development and implementation of registry technology.
- Represented Sigmoid Pharma, an oral drug delivery company developing innovative therapeutics for gastrointestinal and immunological diseases, on a number of licensing collaborations, including with Dr Falk Pharma GmbH and Pendopharm, a division of Pharmascience Inc.
- Represented Renew Health Limited on the acquisition of Intelesens Limited.
- Represented the shareholders in Embo Medical Limited, an Irish privately held venture-capital backed medtech company, on the sale to a US multinational.
- Represented Genable Technologies Limited, an Irish privately held venture-capital backed biopharmaceutical company, on the sale of the company to Spark Therapeutics Inc., a NASDAQ listed leading US gene therapy company.
- Represented Kneat Solutions Limited on a reverse merger into Fortune Bay Corp. a Canadian public company listed on the TSX Venture Exchange.
- Represented Canadian animator, 9 Story Media Group on the acquisition of Brown Bag Films (Mid Market M&A Deal of the Year 2016).
- Represented IdentiGEN on a significant growth capital investment by MML Growth Capital Partners Ireland.
- Represented Eli Global LLC on the acquisition of Helix Health.
- Represented the shareholders of Storyful Limited on the €18m disposal of the business to News Corp.
- Representing the shareholders of AMT-SYBEX Group Limited on the sale to Capita plc for an aggregate consideration of €127 million.
- Represented GuestLogix Inc. on the acquisition of OpenJaw Technologies Limited for $41.2 million.
- Represented Willis Ireland, part of Willis Group Holdings plc, on the acquisition of a range of Irish pension and financial advisory businesses from IFG Group plc.
- Acted as lead partner for Liberty Mutual in a number of corporate transactions including the acquisition of the general insurance business of Quinn Insurance Limited (in administration). This transaction was recognised by Finance Dublin as the Most Innovative Deal of the Year 2012.
Chambers & Partners, 2021
Martin is described by clients as "very commercial, prompt and responsive".
Legal 500, 2021
Martin is a ‘Leading Individual’. “Demonstrated exceptional commitment to the project in hand and made himself available at all times of the day or night to meet deadlines, without compromising on the quality of service.”
Legal 500, 2020
Martin has "deep commercial expertise in all areas and is an excellent partner to conduct a negotiation with".
Legal 500, 2019
Martin is recognised as a “Leading Individual”.
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
Martin is a frequent guest speaker at events and lectures on corporate law.
Author, Irish chapter of Licences and Insolvency: A Practical Global Guide to the Effects of Insolvency on IP Licence Agreements, published by Global Law and Business