Martin is a partner in our Corporate team and Head of Life Sciences. He has extensive international experience in corporate law, particularly in the ICT, Life Sciences and Financial Services sectors. Martin has acted in some of the most high-profile M&A transactions in Ireland in recent years.
Martin’s corporate practice focuses on advising Irish and international businesses on mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and private equity transactions, reorganisations and fundraisings.
Martin also has significant experience in the commercialisation of IP and represents technology companies, State bodies and third level universities in this specialist area.
Martin has an MBA from Cranfield University, School of Management and was a recipient of the J.P. O'Reilly Scholarship from the Law Society of Ireland.
- Venture Capital
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Life Sciences
- IP Licensing
Awards & Recognition
Life Sciences Star
LMG Life Sciences Europe 2014
Ireland - Biotechnology Law and Venture Capital Law
Award for Healthcare & Life Sciences in Ireland
- Represented the shareholders in Embo Medical Limited, an Irish privately held venture-capital backed medtech company, on the sale to a US multinational.
- Represented Genable Technologies Limited, an Irish privately held venture-capital backed biopharmaceutical company, on the sale of the company to Spark Therapeutics Inc., a NASDAQ listed leading US gene therapy company.
- Represented Kneat Solutions Limited on a reverse merger into Fortune Bay Corp. a Canadian public company listed on the TSX Venture Exchange.
- Represented IdentiGEN on a significant growth capital investment by MML Growth Capital Partners Ireland.
- Represented Eli Global LLC on the acquisition of Helix Health.
- Represented Cylon Controls on a €7m VC investment by the ESB Novusmodus Fund.
- Representing the shareholders of AMT-SYBEX Group Limited on the sale to Capita plc for an aggregate consideration of €127 million.
- Represented GuestLogix Inc. on the acquisition of OpenJaw Technologies Limited for $41.2 million.
- Represented Willis Ireland, part of Willis Group Holdings plc, on the acquisition of a range of Irish pension and financial advisory businesses from IFG Group plc.
- Acted as lead partner for Liberty Mutual in a number of corporate transactions including the acquisition of the general insurance business of Quinn Insurance Limited (in administration). This transaction was recognised by Finance Dublin as the Most Innovative Deal of the Year 2012.
- Acting for the providers of finance arranged by Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated and J.P. Morgan Securities for the $7.3bn offer by Royalty Pharma for Elan Corporation plc.
- Represented Kerry Group plc in the acquisition of Breeo Foods Limited.
Chambers Europe - Europe's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2017
"Remarkably efficient. He understands the commercial decisions and risk points."
Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2016
"A fantastic lead adviser who offers real solutions."
Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2015
Martin "is very easy to work with, and his experience working as an in-house corporate lawyer helps him to be pragmatic and commercial."
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
- Martin is a frequent guest speaker at events and lectures on corporate law.
- Panellist at the 2016 4th Annual IBA World Life Sciences Conference, San Francisco.
Author, Irish chapter of Licences and Insolvency: A Practical Global Guide to the Effects of Insolvency on IP Licence Agreements, published by Global Law and Business