Our Food, Agriculture and Beverage Law team advises domestic and international companies, from indigenous start-ups to some of the largest food organisations in Ireland. We also advise retailers, restaurants, caterers and suppliers to the sector.
Our clients access the advice they need, when they need it, on product development, contract negotiations, securing investment, protecting their brands and know-how, entering overseas markets, complying with food law regulation, product liability claims or acquiring a competitor.
Our team have worked with major operators in the food and beverage sector, and we hold significant expertise in this area. Wendy Hederman leads the team and she has unique experience of the sector, having spent 7 years as legal counsel at Diageo, one of the world’s largest beverage companies.
The food and beverage sector is one of Ireland’s largest indigenous industries. Exports have surpassed €10bn, with Ireland becoming a global byword for the production of high quality, innovative goods. The government’s Food Wise 2025 strategy sets out the opportunities and strategies to support the Irish food sector achieve further success in the next decade.
Food/Beverage & Agriculture Law Services
We advise clients in the following areas:
- Commercial contracts – all contracts affecting food and beverages from “farm to fork” including R&D, manufacture, distribution, supply, logistics, and sales agreements
- Intellectual Property – IP protection, licensing and defence
- Taxation – maximising taxation efficiencies of any developed IP
- Corporate – investment, partnership, acquisitions, and joint ventures
- Regulatory – food labelling and advertising
- Product liability and recalls – advice on product liability claims, traceability and recall obligations
- EU & Competition – engaging with Competition Authorities, advising on anti-competitive restraints and on competition compliance programs
- Customs & Trade – exports, imports and entering new markets
- Advising an Irish supermarket operator on a proposed collaboration and expansion into certain Asian markets and on the supply arrangements for the sourcing of premium products from European suppliers.
- Advised Kerry Group in connection with its new global research and development facility at Naas, County Kildare.
- Managing the withdrawal and recall of a range of wines from the Irish market, including notifications to the Food Safety Authority of Ireland and liaising with the Health Services Executive.
- Advising Butlers Chocolate Cafés Limited regarding international franchising.
- Drafting and negotiating a logistics and warehousing agreement for Allied Foods.
- Advising a US based multinational on the Irish and EU regulation of food supplements, and on the powers of the Health Products Regulatory Authority (previously the Irish Medicines Board) and the Food Safety Authority of Ireland in respect of traditional herbal medicinal products and ingredients in food supplements.
- Advising food business operators in Ireland on labelling, advertising and consumer law, on promotions and marketing, on the implementation of the Food Information Regulation (FIR) and on health and nutrition claims.
A sample of our clients:
- Largo Foods
- Connolly Red Mills
- Kellogg Europe
- Manor Park Chickens