Our team is Ireland’s dominant provider of legal services to the Charity and Not-for-Profit sector. Our charity solicitors have unparalleled knowledge and experience of the sector and a deep appreciation of the mission and vision of our clients. We provide well-known international charities, Ireland’s principal national charities, and many local organisations with bespoke, specialist legal services, including advice on charity law and a host of other legal areas of relevance to our clients.
Our charity solicitors appreciate the pressures faced by charities and not-for-profit bodies in carrying out their activities within today’s commercial world, while keeping up-to-date with modern governance practices, regulatory regimes and charity law. We regularly assist our clients with the many complex and strategic issues faced by the sector and we have been lead advisors on the most high profile charity transactions and cases in recent years.
Charity Law & Not-for-Profit Law Services:
Our charity solicitors advise a wide range of charity and not-for-profit organisations on a variety of matters including:
- New charity applications
- Legal structures
- Compliance with governing instruments
- Compliance with the Charities Act 2009
- Interactions with the Charities Regulatory Authority and the Revenue Commissioners
- Annual reporting
- Advice to religious organisations
- Charitable trusts
- Corporate governance advice and training
- Board policies and procedures
- Compliance with the Charities Regulatory Authority guidance and policies
- Best practice and legal requirements re fundraising
- Obtaining grant funding and other finance
- Mergers and restructures
- Advices to HSE-funded (section 38 and section 39) agencies
- Advices to social enterprises
- Regulation of Approved Housing Bodies
- Advised on the merger of Fundraising Ireland and ICTR which led to the establishment of Charities Institute Ireland. We regularly advise charities on the entire merger process, from due diligence and the planning stages through to the drafting of documents, notification of employees, transfer of operations, assistance with the EGM documentation and liaising with the Revenue Commissioners and the Charities Regulator.
- Advising on obligations under the Charities Act 2009 and their interaction with the Charities Regulator.
- Advising on legislative requirements relating to changes in trustees, funding and fundraising, governance policies and codes of conduct.
- Acted for many decades for a majority of Ireland’s many Religious Orders and Congregations, as well as for the Roman Catholic Hierarchy and its Dioceses and other faiths. In working with our religious clients, we are conscious of the specific issues that concern many of them today.
- Advising voluntary hospitals and many other healthcare providers operating in the areas of hospice care, intellectual and physical disability, mental health and non-acute healthcare on structuring, corporate governance and charity law issues.
- Advising hospitals and other organisations on proposed mergers and changes to the structure within which they provide their services.