We understand that media cannot be viewed in isolation from telecoms. Indeed, the revised AVMS Directive and the new European Electronic Communications Code have only served to further blur the lines for some clients.
We have one of the largest and foremost Media and Telecoms practices in Ireland, acting for a wide range of public and private entities, including some of the world's largest technology companies.
Our lawyers advise media and telecoms clients, both ‘traditional’ and ‘new’, on all aspects of commercial and regulatory law, including relations between private operators and engagement with public bodies.
We advise media clients on domestic and EU legislation, including broadcasting rights and advertising rules, and have been centrally involved in the most high profile telecoms projects in recent years, including ComReg’s 5G spectrum auction and the National Broadband Plan.
We advise clients on the revised AVMS Directive, the Code and the proposed ePrivacy regulation.
Some of the issues we advise on include:
Media (incl. social media)
- Irish and EU media law
- National and cross-border broadcasting rights
- Production agreements
- Contract negotiations
- Engagement with the broadcasting regulator (BAI) and DCCAE
- Compliance with codes of conduct
- Irish and EU competition law
- Media mergers
- Change of control and media plurality issues
- Data privacy
- Internet applications
- Commercial contracts
- Interconnection agreements
- Infrastructure access and shared infrastructure
- Authorisation and licensing
- VoIP and OTT services
- Engagement with ComReg and DCCAE
- Market power and remedies
- Spectrum compliance
- Lawful interception
- Data retention
- Mobile satellite services
Legal 500, 2021
Ranked as a Tier 1 team noted for being “highly knowledgeable”. “Their sheer exposure… and hard-earned contextual understanding, would be extremely difficult to find in another Irish firm".
Chambers & Partners, 2021
"They are very knowledgeable, assertive and flexible".
Chambers & Partners, 2020
"Tremendous breadth of experience and knowledge in telecommunications matters".
Chambers & Partners 2019
The team has “a lot of experience” and can “anticipate” issues.
“The lawyers understand the issues and the pressures, are quite personable and are readily available at short notice”.
Legal 500, 2019
The team has “incomparable commercial acumen” and provides “excellent, practical, business-savvy advice”.
“Experienced and well-rounded team” with a “tremendous breadth of knowledge in telecoms matters”.
- Advising UK based broadcasters seeking to relocate to Ireland in light of Brexit and directly advising on the first licence application to be made to Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI).
- Advising Ireland's national broadcaster RTÉ and the largest cable-TV network in the country (Virgin Media) on a wide range of commercial and regulatory issues.
- Advising a range of clients on the media merger regime in Ireland, including on engagement with the CCPC, BAI and Department of Communications.
- Advising Facebook, WhatsApp and other new media platforms on media and telecoms matters.
- Appointed as sole legal advisors to the Department of Communications on its next generation National Broadband Plan, the most comprehensive and ambitious plan of its kind to date.
- Advising ComReg on a wide range of issues including on its 4G and 5G spectrum auctions, compliance and enforcement matters and other day to day projects.
- Advising a wide range of traditional and OTT telecoms operators on commercial matters, as well as registration and compliance with regulatory obligations and on Irish interception laws.