We have one of the largest and foremost Media and Telecoms practices in Ireland, acting for some of the world's largest technology companies.
We understand that media cannot be viewed in isolation from telecoms and this is reflected by our range of legal expertise in the industry. We advise both traditional and new (social) media companies on a wide range of commercial and regulatory issues. We also advise on all aspects of commercial and regulatory law in the telecoms sector, including relations between private operators and engagement with public bodies.
Our lawyers act for both private and public sector clients including the national regulator, ComReg, and the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment (DCCAE), and leading media and telecoms providers such as Virgin Media, BT, BskyB, national broadcaster RTÉ and Three Mobile.
With recent convergence of the media and telecoms sectors, our expertise in these areas ensures our ability to provide the full range of legal requirements sought by both national and international clients.
Some of the issues we advise on include:
Media (incl. social media)
- Irish and EU media law
- National and cross-border broadcasting rights
- Production agreements
- Contract negotiations
- Engagement with the broadcasting regulator (BAI) and DCCAE
- Compliance with codes of conduct
- Irish and EU competition law
- Media mergers
- Change of control and media plurality issues
- Data privacy
- Internet applications
- Commercial contracts
- Interconnection agreements
- Infrastructure access and shared infrastructure
- Authorisation and licensing
- VoIP and OTT services
- Engagement with ComReg and DCCAE
- Market power and remedies
- Spectrum compliance
- Lawful interception
- Data retention
- Mobile satellite services
Chambers Europe - Europe's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2017
"Partners are accessible, have a commercial approach and understand business."
Chambers Europe - Europe's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2016
"Has all the resources you need."
Legal 500, 2016
at ‘the top of the game’
Chambers Europe - Europe's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2015
"The team is phenomenal - super efficient, productive and business oriented."
- Advising Liberty Global (owner of Virgin Media) on all aspects of its 2016 acquisition of UTV Ireland and its 2015 acquisition of TV3. Advising a range of clients on the new media merger regime in Ireland, including on engagement with the BAI and DCENR.
- Advising Ireland's national broadcaster RTÉ and the largest cable-TV network in the country (Virgin Media) on a wide range of commercial and regulatory issues.
- Advising Facebook and other social media platforms on media and telecoms matters.
- Appointed as sole legal advisors to the DCCAE on its next generation National Broadband Plan, the most comprehensive and ambitious plan of its kind to date.
- Advising ComReg on a wide range of issues including its 3.6 GHz spectrum auction, compliance and enforcement matters and other day to day projects.
- Advising a wide range of traditional and OTT telecoms operators on commercial matters, as well as registration and compliance with regulatory obligations.