Philip is a partner, head of our Commercial team and a member of our Management Committee. He also leads our Technology, Media and Communications team and the Privacy and Data Security team.
Philip’s market leading international practice supports some of the world’s most successful tech companies. As one of the leaders of the firm’s inward investment practice, Philip specialises in helping fast-growing companies to rapidly scale out of Ireland. Philip is client partner for a number of the firm’s key international clients.
Philip solves complex global privacy problems for major technology multinationals. His team comprises some of the market’s most sophisticated lawyers in the fields of online sales, ad technology and advertising law, Fintech, internet litigation, internationairell online law enforcement, IP licensing, cloud computing, social media law and export control regulation. Philip has advised on some of the most high-profile data security breaches in Ireland and globally in recent years.
- Philip is Facebook’s standing EU privacy counsel having assisted Facebook throughout its audits by the Irish privacy regulator. Philip oversees the firm’s engagement with Facebook, which includes significant litigation and law enforcement work, and he assists Facebook’s integration of various companies which it has acquired.
- Advising Twitter in relation to privacy compliance and overseeing the MHC internet litigation team that successfully represented Twitter in a number of take down cases.
- Led the MHC team which assisted LinkedIn through its audit by the Irish privacy regulator and advising LinkedIn in relation to pan-EU privacy compliance.
- Led the MHC team advising Ireland’s Communications Regulator (“ComReg”) on the liberalisation of the 4G wireless spectrum. This complex auction process generated €850m for the Irish government from the granting of licences to communication operators.
- Helping Nest Labs build its EU presence and overseeing Nest Labs contractual, regulatory and EU establishment requirements.
Chambers Europe, 2016
"the perfect partner for a multinational project, as he knows Irish and EU law back to front"
The Legal 500, 2016
Philip Nolan is a ‘smart, tough, practical, excellent communicator’ and ‘a personable and extremely knowledgeable lawyer’
Chambers Europe, 2015
Philip Nolan's "team is phenomenal - super efficient, productive and business oriented."
The Legal 500, 2015
Philip Nolan is listed as a Leading Individual and his team is described as ‘among the best for data protection’.
Chambers Europe, 2014
"He has a great commercial approach to the way he structures contracts."
The Legal 500, 2014
Philip Nolan's ‘advice is clear and practical, with a strong commercial focus’.
‘an exceptionally gifted lawyer’
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
- "Post Safe Harbor: The Alternative Ways to Export Personal Data” @kit-Kongress Forum on Communications and Law (April 2016)
- "Data Protection Demystified" In-House Counsel Masterclass at Mason Hayes & Curran (Feb 2016)
- ITechLaw 2016 International Asia-Pacific Conference, Singapore. Panel discussion "Disruptive Technologies VI: An Off-the-Record
Discussion on New Challenges to Data Privacy" (Jan 2016)
- ITechLaw Conference, London, “Post Safe Harbor: The Alternative Ways to Export Personal Data” (Nov 2015)
- Insurance Institute of Ireland Conference,Demystifying Data Protection (March 2015)
- Web Summit 2014: The Complexities and Paradoxes of Big Data for Social Good (November 2014)
- Aon Cyber Security Conference, Dublin (September 2014)
- European American Chamber of Commerce event in New York “Transatlantic Privacy Update: US vs. EU Privacy Regulations: A Comparison” (May 2014)
- Hosting NASDAQ sponsored Privacy and Data Security Executive Round Table in Palo Alto, California (February 2014)
- Participating in EU Privacy and Cloud Computing Panels at Dublin Web Summit (October 2013)
- Interview with Silicon Republic on Data Privacy and Protection.
- Fujitsu Innovation Gathering, Dublin: “Busting some myths: Data Protection and Cloud Security” (May 2013)
- AIJA Conference, Tallinn: “Creating a Silicon Valley in Europe” (April 2013)
- Dublin Chamber of Commerce: "Knowing Me, Knowing You: Managing & Using Contact Data" (January 2013)
- Innovation Nation Conference: Palo Alto; California: “Investing in Ireland: IP and Privacy Issues” (October 2012)
- IBA Conference Dublin: “Advertising, Data Protection Issues and Social Media” (October 2012)
- Dublin Web Summit: “The Cloud’s Biggest Customer: Do Government’s Get it” (October 2012)
- UCD Alumni Social Media Conference; Technopolis – Ireland’s Digital Future (September 2012)
- ABA Seminar at AIJA Barcelona Congress: “Data Privacy Issues in an International Merger/Acquisition” (August 2012)
- ISIN/Convergence Ireland Conference: The Intersection of Healthcare & Information Technology - Harnessing Ireland's Unique Potential (June 2012)
- AIJA Data Protection Conference: Vienna, Austria: “The New Draft Privacy Regulation” (February 2012)
- American Bar Association International Law Fall Meeting (September 2011)
- AIJA Annual Congress in Amsterdam (August 2011)
- iTech World Technology Law Conference in San Francisco (May 2011)
Areas of Expertise
Privacy & Data Security
Commercial Contracts & Sourcing
Member, International Technology Law Association
Member of AIJA and former President of AIJA's Technology, Media and Intellectual Property Commission
Previous Member, Editorial Board of the Gazette of the Law Society of Ireland
Lecturer at Law Society of Ireland in data protection, technology and commercial law
University of Oxford (BCL (Oxon))
University College Dublin (BCL, Int Law)
DePaul College of Law, Chicago (BCL Int)