Michael is a Partner with over 15 years' experience in the field of economic regulation.
Prior to joining the firm, Michael worked with the communications regulator, ComReg. As well as regularly advising clients on antitrust, merger control and State aid matters, Michael has particular expertise in the areas of electronic communications and broadcasting regulation.
Michael has taught economics at both University College Dublin and the University of Western Sydney and has contributed to a wide variety of publications on competition and regulatory matters.
- Antitrust, cartels, merger control and State aid
- Regulated Industries
- Technology, Media and Communications
- Export control and trade sanctions
- Advising on merger notifications to the European Commission including ABP Group/Fane Valley Group/Slaney Foods and McKesson/UDG Healthcare.
- Advising Virgin Media on its acquisitions of TV3 and UTV Ireland.
- Advising Discovery Communications on its acquisition of Setanta Sports Asia.
- Advising BT in connection with Hutchison’s (Three Ireland) acquisition of Telefónica Ireland.
- Advising on the European Commission’s abuse of dominance investigation into Google.
- Advising a number of clients on dawn raid procedures.
- Advising various public entities such as Science Foundation Ireland, National Treasury Management Agency, Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland, various universities and Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company on State aid matters.
- Advising the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) on various spectrum auctions including on all aspects of its hugely successful 4G spectrum auction.
- Advising ComReg on the introduction of the first-of-its-kind spectrum trading framework in Ireland.
- Advising clients on the scope and application of electronic communications regulation, including as it applies to VoIP and OTT services.
- Advising technology clients, Facebook, LinkedIn and Amazon on regulatory and other matters.
- Advising old and new media clients on the scope and application of the broadcasting regulatory framework.
- Advising media clients on engagement with DCCAE and the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI).
- Advising a number of clients on the BAI’s licensing process under the Broadcasting Action 2009.
- Advising clients on the licensing of sports rights on the island of Ireland.
Legal 500, 2018
Michael Madden is “attentive on even the smallest of issues”.
Chambers Europe 2017
Michael ‘impresses clients with his wide range of regulatory and commercial experience.’
Legal 500, 2017
Michael is recognised as a ‘Leading Individual’ in telecoms and attracts praise as a 'strong tactician’
Areas of Expertise
Competition & Antitrust
Media & Telecoms
The Law Society of Ireland
The Law Society of England and Wales
University College Dublin, BA & MA (Economics)
Trinity College Dublin, Diploma in Statistics
Kings College London, Diploma in EU Law