Richard is a senior Dispute Resolution partner whose practice encompasses contentious intellectual property law, contentious technology and social media law, on and offline defamation and general commercial disputes usually with a cross-border component.
He has over 30 years’ experience of litigation practice and has acted in some of the most high profile and complex commercial disputes before the Irish Courts.
Richard is currently lead litigation solicitor in the Commercial Court case of Data Protection Commissioner v Facebook Ireland and Schrems, in which the Irish DPC is challenging the Standard Contractual Clauses established by decisions of the European Commission as a valid basis for the export of date outside the EU and is in the process of being referred to the Court of Justice of the EU.
- Intellectual Property Law and Litigation
- Technology law
- Commercial Disputes
- Social Media and Privacy Law
- Acted for the EU Commissioner for Agriculture in successful High Court defamation proceedings against a national newspaper and TV station.
- Acting for Facebook, Yahoo!, Twitter and Yelp in defending High Court proceedings and High Court injunction applications relating to issues such as defamation, privacy and data protection and advising on take down requests and Norwich Pharmacal applications.
- Representing Irish food manufacturer, Kerry Foods plc, in trade mark infringements and passing off actions.
- Defended the European Computer Driving Licence Foundation against a multi-million dollar claim in the Commercial Court arising from the termination of a licencing agreement for the provision of services in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Defending and prosecuting claims for patent infringement and defending patent revocation proceedings for a number of companies including Saint-Gobain Pipelines and Simba International Limited.
- Prosecuting proceedings to amend the Irish Trademark Register for Kellogg.
- Advised large European manufacturers regarding their registered and unregistered design rights and the enforceability of same in Ireland.
- Acting for multinational corporations including Cable & Wireless, Bertelsman, and Cheapflights (cheapflights.com) or their Irish subsidiaries in interlocutory injunction applications and other disputes concerning alleged breach of copyright.
- Advising Ryder Cup Limited in protecting and enforcing its intellectual property rights in Ireland and prosecuting infringement proceedings when required.
- Advised LIDL on all aspects of intellectual property to include acting on their behalf in injunctive proceedings brought in relation to alleged trademark infringements.
- Acting for Pfizer in obtaining a Search and Seizure order from an Irish court in support of CTM proceedings before the (UK) Royal Courts of Justice, a first in this jurisdiction.
- Acting for XS Direct, an Irish insurer, in Commercial Court proceedings arising from alleged breach of its software copyright.
- Conducting Commercial Court proceedings on behalf of an institutional investor seeking recovery of seven figure sum invested in complex derivative financial products.
- Defending insurers’ decisions to decline cover in a number of unrelated cases, both at arbitration and before the Commercial Court.
- Defending a range of Irish law firms in a number of cases of alleged professional negligence arising out of complex corporate, financial and banking transactions, before both the High Court and the Commercial Court.
- Prosecuting Irish and Community Trade Mark infringement proceedings brought by a number of companies including Go Outdoors Limited who operate a chain of outdoor superstores in the United Kingdom.
- Advising global sportswear company on the termination of a significant multi-year sponsorship agreement.
Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2017
“He is wise, shrewd and very good at tactical thinking."
The Legal 500, 2017
"Excellent with clients."
World IP Review, 2016
Richard is listed in WIPR's 2016 directory of World IP Leaders.
World Trademark Review, 2016
An “excellent professional who provides fantastic services .”
Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2016
Department head Richard Woulfe is highlighted for his work as a litigator in the IP sphere.
Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2015
"Approachable, pragmatic and knowledgeable"