Peter is a Partner in our Energy and Natural Resources practice, advising on Irish and European law and regulation applicable to Irish energy projects.
He advises project sponsors, lenders, utilities and regulatory authorities in relation to all aspects of the Irish electricity, natural gas and petroleum sectors, as well as related areas of law such as environmental permitting and energy efficiency obligations. Peter also advises large energy consumers on efficient and diverse procurement strategies.
Peter has advised in relation to major Irish thermal and renewable, onshore and offshore, electricity generation projects, as well as the development of an Irish LNG gasification terminal.
- Energy and natural resources
- Projects and infrastructure
- Regulated industries
- Advising generators, utilities and lenders (in respect of connected wind farms having aggregate installed capacity of c.850MW) in connection with the go-live of the new I-SEM electricity trading arrangements in the Single Electricity Market in late September 2018, and the new commercial arrangements required as a consequence.
- Assisting a number of electricity trading houses with the preparation of template contracts to facilitate their provision of electricity trading and balancing services to Irish participants in the Single Electricity Market following I-SEM go-live.
- Acted for Element Power in the sale of its Irish and UK onshore wind development operations, including approximately 1,550MW of projects, to Norwegian state-owned utility Statkraft AS.
- Advised Allied Irish Banks plc in financing the 17MW Killala Wind Farm.
- Advised Nord/LB in financing the 40.8MW Magheramore Wind Farm and the 33.6MW Knockalough Wind Farm.
- Advised Cubico Sustainable Investments in relation to the acquisition and project financing of the Cordal wind farm in Cordal, Co Kerry, and post-completion matters.
- Advised Brookfield Renewable Ireland in relation to its deal to supply renewable electricity to Facebook to power its new Irish data centres.
- Acted for NTR plc in relation to the project financing of its 17.5MW Coollegrean wind farm and its 9MW Teevurcher wind farm.
- Advised Cloosh Valley Wind Farm Limited, a joint venture between SSE Renewables Ireland Limited and Coillte, in relation to the development of the 105MW Cloosh Valley wind farm, part of the Galway Wind Park.
- Advised private and publicly-owned bidders for major Irish portfolios of thermal and renewable energy assets, including auction processes involving assets of ESB, Airtricity and Bord Gáis Energy.
Legal 500, 2021
Peter is a ‘Recommended Lawyer’
Chambers & Partners, 2021
'Band 3 Lawyer', Peter McLay ‘is a recognised figure in the market, with notable experience in regulatory matters’.
Chambers and Partners, 2013
"He is strong on detail but does not get lost in it. He is approachable and the quality of his work is excellent."
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
Presenting “Ireland – energy update 2015” at European Energy Day, Hamburg, November 2015
“Clean Energy Package: an Electricity Market Redesign” – presentation for Energy Law Ireland, Dublin, June 2017
“REFIT in I-SEM: Legal Perspectives” – presentation to Irish Wind Farmers Association, Dublin, July 2017
“Energy in Ireland” – presentation to AEEC Spring Conference, Dublin, April 2018