Orla is a Senior Associate in our Employment Law and Benefits tean. She joined Mason Hayes & Curran in 2012 having previously practised at another top Dublin firm for four years post qualification.
Orla advises on all aspects of employment and equality law, relating to both contentious and non-contentious matters. She advises on everyday workplace issues, including recruitment, bullying, harassment, working time and holidays, protective leave, equality and terminations.
She also advises on drafting, reviewing and negotiating of employment contracts, executives' service contracts and severance agreements. She advises on the drafting and review of company handbooks, employment policies and procedures, including grievance and disciplinary policies and bullying and harassment policies.
Orla also advises on aspects of commercial transactions including employment due diligence, and the legal requirements and obligations of parties in relation the transfer of undertakings.
- Advised an Irish bank in relation to TUPE application to an outsourcing agreement, covering the drafting of appropriate clauses for the agreement and advising on the TUPE treatment of any potential sub-contracting permitted in the agreement.
- Advised a global financial service provider on the TUPE impact of an employee transfer, including the drafting of the documentation informing the affected party of the TUPE outcomes.
- Advised McKesson Corporation on the multi-jurisdictional employment and TUPE aspects of its acquisition of the pharmaceutical distribution business of Irish FTSE 250 company, UDG Healthcare.
- Is part of the team that provides employment law advice to leading technology companies such as Facebook, Twitter and Activision. She also advises Ulster Bank, Northern Trust, Valero, Skillsoft, Synopsys and Pramerica together with public sector bodies such as the Legal Aid Board, Tourism Ireland and the National Disability Authority.
- Successfully defended a claim by a former employee of Bord Gáis Energy Limited under TUPE. Advised Bord Gáis Energy in relation to the termination and taking back in-house of an out-sourced service.
Legal 500, 2020
Orla is celebrated as a "rising star."
Legal 500, 2019
Next Generation Lawyer, Orla O’Leary comes “highly recommended” for being “highly reliable and trustworthy”, and “a pleasure to work with”.