Our Privacy and Data Security Team provides world-class expertise and strategic advice on all issues surrounding data protection and privacy law compliance. With a client base ranging from the world’s best known data driven companies, to high potential start-ups and government institutions, we offer clients unparalleled global expertise coupled with detailed local knowledge.
We have the foremost privacy law team in Ireland which is earning a reputation as the premier team in the EU to advise US and other non-European companies on global privacy structures, on European wide compliance with privacy law, and on complex multi-jurisdictional data transfers, outsourcing arrangements, processing (including big data analytics) and services agreements. As part of this trans-border work, we frequently co-ordinate complex and international data protection projects with counsel across Europe.
Privacy and Data Security law is a rapidly evolving area, and of increasing importance for companies, institutions and public bodies. Businesses striving to create value through the intelligent analysis and use of data face a complex web of rules and regulations. Emerging technology and legislative reform make compliance with data security law a moving target. Our team understands and foresees the challenges which clients come up against in this area and have the knowledge and skills to overcome the most complex of problems.
Our lawyers have broad expertise in all aspects of privacy and data security law including:
- Data Protection: We provide a full range of data services to assist companies to meet their obligations under legislation. This includes reviewing and drafting data subject consent notifications, drafting privacy and data protection policies and dealing with data protection concerns arising from commercial contracts.
- Data breach incidents: Security breaches and the resulting PR and legal consequences are an increasing risk for businesses. Our lawyers have extensive and highly regarded data breach incident expertise, and have assisted multi-national companies and public bodies in responding to data security incidents, particularly those with a cross-border dimension.
- Advice on new technologies: Many of the most exciting and disruptive emerging technologies involve the processing of personal data. Working closely with both entrepreneurs and established innovators, our privacy lawyers have advised on the design and implementation of a wide variety of products, particularly in the consumer goods, security and web 2.0 sectors.
- Global Privacy Structure: As businesses seek to move information across borders and limit their regulatory risk, “privacy structures” are emerging alongside tax and corporate structures as a key strategic concern. We advise many household names on the design and implementation of their global privacy structures.
- Investigations and Litigation: Regulatory investigations can impose a significant drain on an organisation’s resources. Our privacy team has represented many companies in investigations by the Irish Data Protection Commissioner and has successfully brought judicial review proceedings against decisions of the Commissioner.
- Compliance: Most data security challenges can be prevented through the deployment of adequate safeguards in advance. Our privacy team works closely with companies, NGOs and government institutions, particularly those in the healthcare and education sectors, to ensure that their practices comply with data protection law.
- Law Reform: Privacy law is rapidly evolving. We advise clients on the commercial impact of legislative developments and assist in the preparation and submission of representations to legislative decision makers.
Chambers Europe, 2016
"Offers an incredibly deep level of expertise"
Legal 500, 2016
‘Top IT firm’
Chambers Europe, 2015
"The team is phenomenal - super efficient, productive and business oriented."
The Legal 500, 2015
‘among the best for data protection’
Chambers Europe, 2014
'gives practical advice, has strong business acumen and keeps us regularly updated with what is going on.’
Legal 500, 2014
‘an excellent firm with significant depth of commercial knowledge.’
- We act as lead privacy counsel to Facebook EMEA, advising on all aspects of regulatory engagement and product privacy issues.
- We act as standing privacy and technology law counsel to LinkedIn, working closely with LinkedIn’s in-house counsel on all aspects of its world leading professional network.