Niall is a partner and Head of our Competition & Antitrust team. His primary area of practice is Irish and EU competition law. He has extensive experience advising clients on all aspects of competition and antitrust law, but particularly on complex mergers. He also advises on intellectual property/competition interface issues, cartel investigations, follow-on actions and leniency applications.
Niall was recently identified by Global Competition Review as one of the world's top antitrust lawyers under the age of forty in their "40 under 40" feature. Niall regularly represents clients from a broad range of sectors including energy, pharmaceuticals, food, telecommunications, transport and infrastructure, technology, sport and gaming and betting.
Niall joined the Firm in 2011, having previously practised with the EU & Competition Practice at Ashurst LLP in London and with the Antitrust & Competition Practice at Latham & Watkins in London.
- Merger Control
- Advising Discovery Communications in relation to its acquisition of Scripps Networks Interactive.
- Acting for Iveco in the defence of a follow-on action for damages arising from the European Commission's decision in the "Trucks" case.
- Advising clients in relation to the Irish Competition and Consumer Protection Commission’s (CCPC) investigations into the ticketing and insurance sectors.
- Advising McKesson Corporation on its acquisition of the pharmaceutical distribution business of Irish FTSE 250 company, UDG Healthcare.
- Advising Fane Valley on its joint venture with ABP Group in relation to Slaney Foods and on its agribusiness joint venture with Lakeland Dairies.
- Advising Koch Industries on the acquisition of Phillips Medisize by Molex.
- Advising on various ‘media mergers’ notified to the CCPC/European Commission and to the Minister for Communications under the new Irish media merger regime.
- Advising Cargill Inc. on its €1.35 billion acquisition of EWOS from Altor and Bain Capital.
- Advising Valero Energy in connection with Topaz’s acquisition of Esso Ireland.
- Advising Dragon Oil in connection with the STG£3.6bn recommended offer made by Emirates National Oil Company.
- Advising Expedia Inc. on competition and commercial matters.
- Advising The Carlyle Group on its investments in Beats Electronics, Expereo, Homair Vacances, Betafence and Ortho Clinical Diagnostics.
- Advising Brookfield Renewable Energy on its acquisition of the renewable business assets and liabilities of Bord Gáis Eireann.
- Advising Intersnack International on its acquisition of the savoury snacks business of KP Snacks from United Biscuits (cleared unconditionally by the Irish CCPC following a Phase II investigation).
- Advising Gas Networks Ireland on various energy matters, including the first successful criminal prosecutions in Ireland for gas meter tampering.
- Advising British Telecommunications on its acquisition of ESPN Global Limited.
Chambers and Partners, 2017
“Smart, effective and very responsive."
The Legal 500, 2017
Niall "knows and works well with regulators".
Chambers and Partners, 2016
Niall has "fantastic, in-depth knowledge of so many industries."
The Legal 500, 2016
Niall is recommended as a "leading individual"
Chambers and Partners, 2015
An "exceptionally strong" practitioner