Niall is a partner and Head of our Competition & Antitrust team. His primary area of practice is Irish and EU competition law. He has extensive experience advising clients on all aspects of competition and antitrust law, but particularly on complex mergers. He also advises on intellectual property/competition interface issues, competition investigations, follow-on actions and leniency applications.
Niall was recently identified by Global Competition Review as one of the world's top antitrust lawyers under the age of forty in their ‘40 under 40’ feature. He is ranked in the top tier of competition advisers in Ireland by both Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 and was recently identified by Who’s Who Legal as one of three ‘Thought Leaders’ in competition law in Ireland.
Niall regularly represents clients from a broad range of sectors including energy, insurance, agriculture and food, telecommunications, transport and infrastructure, technology, sport and financial services.
Niall joined the Firm in 2011, having previously practised with the EU & Competition Practice at Ashurst LLP in London and with the Antitrust & Competition Practice at Latham & Watkins in London
- Merger Control
- Advising on the Irish Competition and Consumer Protection Commission’s (CCPC) investigations into the ticketing and insurance sectors.
- Advising Fane Valley on its acquisition of Silver Hill Foods, and Smyths Daleside and on its joint venture with ABP Group in relation to Slaney Foods.
- Acting in the defence of a follow-on action for damages arising from the European Commission's decision in the ‘Trucks’ case.
- Advising Elis S.A. in connection with its acquisition of Kings Laundry (a Phase II investigation by the CCPC).
- Advising APCOA on its acquisition of NCPS.
- Advising Tetrarch Capital on various investments.
- Advising financial institutions on regulatory investigations/enforcement by the Irish Central Bank.
- Advising The Carlyle Group on various investments including investments in Beats Electronics, Expereo, Homair Vacances, Betafence and Ortho Clinical Diagnostics.
- Advising Discovery Communications on its acquisition of Scripps Networks Interactive.
- Advising on various ‘media mergers’ notified to the CCPC/European Commission and to the Minister for Communications under the new Irish media merger regime.
- Advising Valero Energy in connection with Topaz’s acquisition of Esso Ireland.
- Advising Dragon Oil on the STG£3.6bn recommended offer made by Emirates National Oil Company.
- Advising Expedia Inc. on competition and commercial matters.
- Advising Brookfield Renewable Energy on its acquisition of the renewable business assets and liabilities of Bord Gáis Eireann.
- Advising Intersnack International on its acquisition of the savoury snacks business of KP Snacks from United Biscuits (a Phase II investigation by the CCPC).
- Advising Gas Networks Ireland on various energy matters, including the first successful criminal prosecutions in Ireland for gas meter tampering.
- Advising British Telecommunications on its acquisition of ESPN Global Limited.
Chambers & Partners, 2019
Niall is “widely revered” and “extremely business-oriented”.
Legal 500, 2019
Niall is recognised as a “Leading Individual”.
Chambers and Partners, 2018
"An outstanding lawyer, both in terms of his technical knowledge and his client management skills."
Legal 500, 2018
‘Leading Individual’, Niall Collins possesses “excellent technical knowledge”.
Chambers and Partners, 2017
“Smart, effective and very responsive."
Legal 500, 2017
Niall "knows and works well with regulators".
Chambers and Partners, 2016
Niall has "fantastic, in-depth knowledge of so many industries."
Legal 500, 2016
Niall is recommended as a "leading individual"
Chambers and Partners, 2015
An "exceptionally strong" practitioner