Maureen is a partner in our Competition and Antitrust team. She has extensive experience in Irish, UK and European merger control, antitrust, State aid and regulatory law with particular expertise in the communications sector. She advises national and international clients across a broad spectrum of industries, as well as national and European regulators.
Maureen has been involved in many high profile competition and sector investigations before the European Commission and national regulatory authorities in Ireland and the UK. Her practice has also involved significant litigation before the European General Court.
Maureen previously practised in the competition team at another leading Irish law firm. Prior to that, Maureen practised as a Senior Associate in the Antitrust Group at Allen & Overy LLP in London. She began her career in Clifford Chance LLP, in the firm's European and Competition Group in London and Brussels.
- Competition and antitrust law
- Merger control
- State aid
- Broadcasting regulation
- Telecommunications regulation
- Energy regulation
- Water regulation
- Advising Virgin Media, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Liberty Global, on its acquisition of UTV Ireland from ITV plc. This transaction, a “media merger”, took place in a highly regulated sector, requiring the approval of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) and the Competition Commission, as well as the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment.
- Advising Liberty Global on its acquisition of TV3, another high-profile media merger case before the Competition Commission.the BAI and the Minister for Communications
- Advising the Department of Communications on the regulatory and State aid aspects of the government’s planned intervention to bring high speed broadband to rural Ireland.
- Advising ComReg, the communications regulator on the regulatory aspects of spectrum auctions.
- Advising Mazars (and Mr Simon Coyle as Receiver) on the merger control aspects in connection with the sale of Elverys, which involved the consideration of the merger control risk attaching to bids from multiple interested parties
- Advising ComReg on a broad range of Irish and European communications regulatory issues, on the interpretation and application of European and national legislation in both litigious and non-litigious matters.
- Advising the Irish Banking Federation on the application of State aid rules to the introduction of a proposed new levy on the banking sector and related complaint to the European Commission.
- Acting for and advising a number of multinational clients in respect of cartel immunity applications to the Competition Authority.
- Advising a major vehicle manufacturer on EU merger control issues associated with its acquisition of an Irish importer and representing the client in the EU merger control procedure before the European Commission.
- Acting for and successfully defending a multinational electronics firm in respect of all aspects of a European Commission cartel investigation, including advising on strategy in respect of leniency applications.
- Advising a major UK gas supplier on regulatory aspects of the UK gas metering regime in respect of an Ofgem abuse of dominance investigation as well as advising the client on litigious/appeal issues before the High Court of England and Wales and the Competition Appeal Tribunal.
- Advising and acting for a global conglomerate company on all stages of its appeal to the European Court of first Instance against a merger prohibition decision of the European Commission.
Chambers Europe, 2016
"amazing international experience"
Chambers Europe, 2015
"commercial and solution-focused,"
Chambers Europe, 2014
"a key player in this area."
Co-author of the Ireland chapter of The judicial application of competition law, FIDE XXIV Vol. 2, edited by Gil Carlos Roriguez Iglesias/Luis Ortiz Blanco, Servicio de publicaciones de las Facultad de Derecho Complutense, 2010
Co-author of Professional and Health Services chapter of EC Merger Decisions Digest, by Michel Struys and Jeremy Robinson, Kluwer Law, 2005
Co-author of GE/Amersham: The latest diagnosis on conglomerate mergers, Competition Law insight, April 2004