Colin is a partner in our Dispute Resolution team. Colin specialises in commercial litigation and corporate disputes, with a particular emphasis on financial institutions litigation, financial regulatory disputes, competition litigation, technology disputes, commercial property disputes, mergers and acquisitions litigation, shareholder disputes, and negligence claims.
Colin advises a wide variety of clients including financial institutions, statutory and Government entities, private and public companies, and individuals, in relation to all aspects of the litigation process and in respect of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, including arbitration and mediation. Colin has extensive experience in dealing with multi-party disputes before the Commercial List of the High Court.
- Commercial litigation
- Financial institutions litigation
- Financial regulatory disputes
- Technology disputes
- Commercial property disputes
- Competition litigation
Colin was selected as the International Client Choice Awards winner for Litigation in Ireland for 2015. Established in 2005, Client Choice recognises those lawyers around the world that stand apart for the excellent client care they provide and the quality of their service. Nominations can only be made by corporate counsel.
- Acting for Facebook in on-going legal proceedings commenced by the Irish Data Protection Commissioner in the High Court seeking a preliminary reference ruling from the Court of Justice of the European Union on the validity of certain EU Commission decisions which permit data transfers from the EU to the United States pursuant to standard contractual clauses.
- Acting for Crest Nicholson (South West) Limited in relation to High Court proceedings brought by Harcourt Developments seeking an injunction to restrain the presentation of a winding up petition by Crest in relation to Harcourt on foot of amounts owing by Harcourt to Crest.
- Advising in relation to court applications in respect of the restructuring of the banking and credit union sectors in Ireland following the 2008 financial crisis.
- Acting for a financial institution in defending multiple linked proceedings involving claims in excess of €150 million arising out of the appointment of a receiver to certain companies.
- Acting in significant property litigation matters including in respect of a dispute in relation to the sale of development lands in Co. Clare where judgment in excess of €8 million was obtained from the High Court.
- Advising in respect of dawn raids carried out by the European Commission and the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.
- Advising a number of large U.S. publicly listed corporations in respect of mergers into Ireland by way of Irish High Court approved schemes of arrangement.
- Acting in high-value asset management and investment funds litigation arising out of the 2008 financial crisis.
- Acting for financial institutions in the defence of proceedings before the High Court alleging that certain financial derivative products, including swaps, were mis-sold by them.
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
Colin lectures and tutors in commercial litigation at the Law Society of Ireland
Areas of Expertise
Competition & Antitrust
Financial Services Disputes
Investigations & White Collar Crime
Law Society of Ireland
Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
Commercial Litigation Association of Ireland
International Bar Association
Trinity College Dublin, LL.B, 1998
The London School of Economics and Political Science, University of London, LL.M, Intellectual Property Law, 1999
University College Dublin, Diploma, Financial Services Law, 2001
Law Society of Ireland, Admitted as a solicitor, 2002