John is Head of our Tax Team and chairs the firm's International Committee. For more than 25 years he has advised Fortune 500, FTSE 100 and other major multi-nationals in respect of international tax.
He has a particular focus on advising multinationals in respect of using an Irish corporate footprint as part of an acceptable international tax strategy in the post BEPS environment.
John was educated at the University of London LLB(Hons), is an associate of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and the Irish Institute of Tax and is a UK Chartered Tax Adviser.
- Acted for Juniper Networks in cross-border merger of EMEA hub to the Netherlands.
- Acted for Dragon Oil plc in cross-border merger to Malta.
- Acted for Deutsche Bank in its structured acquisition of more than 600 properties in Ireland.
- Led major tax litigation before Irish Appeal Commissioners.
- Acted as Irish tax counsel on numerous group reorganisations using Irish vehicles.
- Acted as Irish tax counsel to Berkshire Partners LLC, Advent International Corporation and Bain Capital Partners LLC in their recommended $1.1 billion acquisition by way of scheme of arrangement for SkillSoft plc.
- Acted as sole Irish tax counsel for UK quoted Vedanta Resources plc in connection with its acquisition of zinc mining interests in Ireland as part of its agreement with Anglo American plc to purchase African and Irish zinc mining interests for $1.34 billion.
- Acted as Irish tax counsel to Mylan Inc., which ranks among the leading generic and specialty pharmaceutical companies in the world, in respect of its $550 million cash acquisition of Bioniche Pharma Holdings Ltd., an Irish based global distributor of generic injectable drugs.
- Acted as Irish tax counsel to LaCrosse in respect of its acquisition from Bank of America Merill Lynch’s global alternative fund administration business that will increase the group’s funds under administration from $15 billion to $21 billion.
- Acted as exclusive Irish tax counsel to BNP Paribas in its multi-billion Euro bid for the Polish assets of AIB.
- Acted as Irish tax counsel to Samsung in its US$1 billion plus disposal of its hard Disc drive business to Irish incorporated parent, Seagate Technology.
- Acted as joint Irish tax Counsel to Odeon Cinema's in its acquisition of one of the largest cinema chains in Ireland.
- Acted for the providers of finance arranged by Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated and J.P. Morgan Securities for the $7.3bn bid by Royalty Pharma for Elan Corporation plc.
Chambers Europe, 2016
Clients highlight his "close attention to detail and personal, individual approach to clients."
Chambers Europe, 2015
He has a growing reputation for his tax advice, thanks to his "ability to identify the problems and solve them before they arise."
Legal 500, 2015
has ‘a wealth of international tax experience’
Chambers Europe, 2015
known for his "ability to identify the problems and solve them before they arise."
Chambers Global, 2014.
valued for his "ability to see around the corner and bring common sense to the occasion."
Legal 500, 2014
John Gulliver and Robert Henson are ‘real players in the international tax market’.
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
- At the Annual IBA 2014 conference in Tokyo, John co-chaired the opening tax session "Life after BEPS: Is there anything left in International Tax Planning?"