Our Competition & Antitrust team offers tailored advice and support to our clients sophisticated needs in this complex area.
Our internationally recognised market-leading team has been centrally involved in establishing new precedent in Irish competition law, having acted in a number of the most recent in-depth (Phase II) investigations by the Irish Competition Commission. We also advised the purchaser on each of the first three ‘media mergers’ notified under the new Irish media merger regime. Our team regularly advises Government, first movers and new entrants on creating new markets in energy, broadcasting and telecoms.
We recognise that increasing regulation, EU mandates and standard harmonization creates an additional burden for business and we understand how competition regulatory processes can raise the cost of doing business. Our goal is to minimise the impact on our clients’ business.
This is an experienced team with diverse backgrounds. Our partners have previously worked with leading Competition/Antitrust practices in both the UK and in Brussels
We frequently advise on:
- merger notifications under the Irish Competition Acts 2002-2014
- EU merger notifications
- cartel investigations and immunity and leniency applications
- competition compliance programmes and dawn raids
- joint ventures and strategic alliances
- State aid
Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2017
“Knows and works well with regulators."
Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2016
"Well known internationally."
Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2015
"These lawyers invest time to understand my industry."
- Advising Virgin Media, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Liberty Global, on its acquisition of UTV Ireland from ITV plc.
- Advising Valero Energy in connection with the proposed acquisition by Topaz of Esso Ireland (Phase II).
- Advising McKesson in connection with its acquisition of the pharmaceutical distribution business of Irish FTSE 250 company, UDG Healthcare.
- Advising the Department of Communications on the regulatory and State aid aspects of the National Broadband Plan, a significant national project that has been compared to rural electrification.
- Advising on the first three ‘media mergers’ notified under the new Irish media merger regime, acting for Discovery Communications, Scripps Networks Interactive and Liberty Global respectively.