We hosted our Key Legal Considerations for School Boards of Management: Preparing for 2023-2024 webinar, in collaboration with the National Association of Boards of Management in Special Education (NABMSE). This webinar took place via Zoom on Wednesday 20 September.
At this webinar, our speakers discussed current hot topics, including:
- Governance Issues - the role of the Patron, Board of Management, Management Bodies and the Principal.
- Grey Areas for Bus Escorts - no training, no standard contracts, do Boards have to be the Employer?
- Special Classes in Mainstream Schools -governance implications for the Patron and Boards.
- Injury to Staff and Students - accommodating the complex needs of the Student v the health & safety of Students and Staff
- Staff Disciplinary Issues - the role of the Principal v the role of the Chairperson and Board.
- Data Access Requests – top tips
- Eileen O'Rourke, General Secretary, NABMSE
- David Ruddy BL, Mason Hayes & Curran
- Catherine Kelly, Partner, Mason Hayes & Curran
- Liam Riordan, Partner, Mason Hayes & Curran
- Lorcan Maule, Associate, Mason Hayes & Curran
- Fiona Sheil, Associate, Mason Hayes & Curran
Almost all school leaders (97%) want the Department of Education to issue guidelines to schools on the physical intervention/restraint of students, according to our audience poll at this event.
Disruption to the teaching and learning of other students was the biggest issue for 56% of respondents, followed by injury to students (20%) and injury to staff (18%). 6% said that self-harm was the biggest behavioural issue in their school.
For more information reach out to a member of our Education team.