Liam is a partner in our Employment Law and Benefits team and practices in the area of education law. He has extensive experience as an education lawyer in advising educational institutions at first, second and third level on the wide range of issues that arise from the day-to-day interaction of teachers, students, parents and management.
He has advised and represented clients in relation to the operation of disciplinary procedures and grievance procedures. He has also advised on the investigation of complaints including bullying/harassment complaints as well as on dealing with statutory bodies such as the HSE/Child and Family Agency and the Ombudsman for Children, amongst others.
Liam has represented Boards of Management at the Employment Appeals Tribunal, the Labour Relations Commission and the Equality Tribunal (all now subsumed in the Workplace Relations Commission), the Labour Court as well as in the civil courts up to and including the Supreme Court. Liam works closely with the relevant management bodies representing management in the education sector.
- Education Law
- Employment Law
- Advising a wide range of educational institutions in relation to contentious and non-contentious issues, including drafting and reviewing school and college based procedures, employment contracts, employment handbooks, etc.
- Advising clients in the education sector on all employment matters, and in particular in relation to the investigation of complaints, issues of professional competence and the conduct of disciplinary investigations, grievance procedures, hearings and child protection issues.
- Advising professional organizations representing management in the education sector.
- Advising and representing clients in relation to claims before the Workplace Relations Commission, the Labour Court, Circuit Court and High Court. Advising clients regarding claims under employment equality legislation, conducting hearings before the Workplace Relations Commission and the Labour Court, including drafting necessary submissions.
- Advising with regard to child protection issues.
- Liam has been involved in a number of ground-breaking and precedent-setting cases in the area of education law before the Workplace Relations Commission and the Labour Court in the areas of unfair dismissal, protected disclosures, sexual harassment and claims of discrimination most recently in relation to successfully defending a claim of penalisation under the Protected Disclosures Act 2014. Liam has also conducted many cases under the Equal Status Act on behalf of clients in the education sector most recently successfully defending a primary school in relation to claim of discrimination on the disability ground arising from the operation of the school’s code of conduct.
- Liam has advised client institutions at both second and third level in relation to student issues including peer bullying, failing to comply with course requirements, plagiarism at third level, impersonation in state exams and problems associated with convictions for drug offences in addition to a wide range of individual problems affecting students.
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
Liam is a regular speaker at seminars organised by the representative management bodies in the education sector and at Legal Island seminars on education-related topics.
Liam lectures on the Law Society Diploma in Education Law course