We hosted our annual energy conference virtually on 13 October 2021 on Investing in a Carbon Neutral Future. We were joined by guest speaker Mike Berners-Lee, Professor and Fellow of the Institute for Social Futures at Lancaster University and author of books such as How Bad are Bananas? The Carbon Footprint of Everything and There Is No Planet B: A Handbook for the Make-or-Break Years. Mike delivered a keynote speech at the conference, followed by panel discussions focusing on the areas of energy supply and security and offshore electricity generation.
Panel 1: Meeting the Energy Shortfall
Against the backdrop of potential load shedding and European countries planning for the possibility of bringing gas and coal plants back on-line, our panellists discussed the complex area of trying to balance security of supply issues with commitments to the energy transition. They also examined the role of natural gas, as well as the importance of large scale battery technology (and investment in same) to the energy transition.
- Mike Berners-Lee, Professor and Fellow of the Institute for Social Futures at Lancaster University
- Bernice Doyle, Head of Grid Services, Statkraft Ireland
- Nicholas Browne, Solution Leader, McKinsey & Company
- Brendan Marren, Head of Sales, Centrica
- Peter McLay, Energy Partner, Mason Hayes & Curran LLP
Chaired by Eoin Cassidy, Head of Energy, Mason Hayes & Curran LLP.
Panel 2: Offshore and the Energy Transition
Offshore wind energy will play a large part in Ireland’s plans for a decarbonised future. The Government and relevant statutory bodies have been working hard to bring Ireland’s regulatory and planning framework up to standard in order to facilitate the development of offshore wind energy in Ireland. Our panellists discussed what the current position looks like and what still needs to be done to facilitate the development, investment and financing of offshore renewable generation.
- Deirdre Nagle, Planning & Environmental Law Partner, Mason Hayes & Curran LLP
- Barry Kilcline, Head of Offshore, SSE Renewables
- Jim Arigho, Director, Energy, Climate Action & Infrastructure Team, AIB
- Seamus McCabe, Senior Vice President, Green Investment Group
- Norman Skillen, General Manager UK & Ireland, Jan De Nul Group
Chaired by William Carmody, Head of Financial Services, Mason Hayes & Curran LLP.
View the sessions conference below:
Mike Berners-Lee - There is no Planet B
Meeting the Energy Shortfall
Offshore and the Energy Transition
Will be available shortly
Disclaimer: The contents of these videos are to assist access to information and do not constitute legal or other advice. Speciﬁc advice should be sought in relation to speciﬁc cases. If you would like more information on this topic, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org