Rory is a partner and Head of our Construction team. He also leads our Energy and Projects practice with Will Carmody. Rory has extensive experience in contentious and non-contentious Energy and Construction issues. He advises and represents utilities, funders, developers, contractors, insurers and professional consultants. He has particular expertise in real estate development, renewable energy and gas.
Rory regularly advises on major projects, including the largest wind farms constructed in Ireland, the largest waste-to-energy facility and the largest real estate development project in Ireland. On contentious matters, Rory advises clients through ADR, arbitration and Court processes. Rory frequently acts as advocate on behalf of clients in ADR and arbitration.
Rory is qualified to advise on both Irish and English law and has extensive experience of the FIDIC, NEC3, JCT and local forms of contract.
- Energy and Utilities
- Real Estate Development
- Construction and Engineering
- Dispute resolution
- Development, procurement and project financing (together with banking colleagues) of 105MW wind farm on behalf of international energy utility – the largest yet to be built in Ireland
- Advising US developer on procurement of works on 400 acre development site in South Dublin.
- Acquisition of generating assets including 450MW CCGT plant and related regulatory issues for international utility.
- Advised Swiss EPC plant contractor in negotiating terms for the 500,000 ton per annum / 60 MW Dublin Waste to Energy PPP.
- Advising Irish energy utility in relation to Connecting Europe Facility funding for European Projects of Common Interest under both the Trans-European Energy Network (TEN-E) and Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T).
- Advising international wind farm developer in relation to parallel Commercial Court proceedings in relation to construction of wind farm.
- Advising Lisheen Mine, one of the largest in Europe, in relation to decommissioning issues.
- Successfully representing Lisheen Mine in High Court proceedings and parallel London arbitration references against Dutch ship owner relating to charperparties / contract of affreightment for zinc ore.
- Advising global food ingredients company on procurement and construction of a €100 million food technology facility in Ireland on FIDIC terms.
- Representing quarry interests in defending 140 separate High Court claims relating to alleged defective materials and associated pyritic heave.
- Advising in relation to a number of water and wastewater treatment plants procured on FIDC terms.
Legal 500, 2017
Chambers Europe - Europe's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2016
"A realist who puts the best case forward, politely and affably."
Legal 500, 2016
Rory Kirrane is recommended as a 'leading Individual'
Chambers Europe - Europe's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2015
"Technically and commercially brilliant."
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
- Rory frequently speaks on construction and related matters at the International Bar Association Annual Conference and on arbitration at the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators