Rory Kirrane was appointed Senior Counsel by the Government of Ireland in 2020, the first occasion the title has been conferred on solicitors.
Rory is a partner and Head of our Construction, Infrastructure and Utilities Department. He also leads our Energy and Projects practice with Will Carmody. Rory has extensive experience in contentious and non-contentious Energy and Construction issues. He advises and represents utilities, funders, developers, contractors, insurers and professional consultants. He has particular expertise in project development, renewable energy and gas.
Rory regularly advises on the largest projects undertaken in Ireland, including on-shore and off-shore wind-farms, thermal power, waste-to-energy, data centres, technology plants and real estate development. On contentious matters, Rory advises clients through ADR, arbitration and Court processes. Rory frequently acts as advocate on behalf of clients in ADR and arbitration. He has represtented clients as advocate in LCIA, ICC and domestic arbitration on a wide range of commercial matters
Rory is qualified to advise on both Irish and English law and has extensive experience of the FIDIC, NEC3, JCT and local forms of contract.
- Energy and Utilities
- Real Estate Development
- Construction and Engineering
- Dispute resolution
- Development, procurement and project financing (together with banking colleagues) of 105MW wind farm on behalf of international energy utility – the largest yet to be built in Ireland.
- Advising international wind farm developer on consenting phase of 520MW offshore project.
- Advising international tech contractor on works contract for multi-billion dollar chip manufacturing plant.
- Advising US developer on procurement of works on 400 acre development site in South Dublin.
- Acquisition of generating assets including 450MW CCGT plant and related regulatory issues for international utility.
- Advised Swiss EPC plant contractor in negotiating terms for the 500,000 ton per annum / 60 MW Dublin Waste to Energy PPP.
- Advising Irish energy utility in relation to Connecting Europe Facility funding for European Projects of Common Interest under both the Trans-European Energy Network (TEN-E) and Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T).
- Successfully represented international wind farm developer on recovery of substantial damages, including loss of profit, in respect of turbine foundation failure.
- Advising Lisheen Mine, one of the largest in Europe, in relation to decommissioning issues.
- Successfully representing Lisheen Mine in High Court proceedings and parallel London arbitration references against Dutch ship owner relating to charperparties / contract of affreightment for zinc ore.
- Advising global food ingredients company on procurement and construction of a €100 million food technology facility in Ireland on FIDIC terms.
- Represented quarry interests in defending 200 separate High Court claims relating to alleged defective materials and associated pyritic heave.
- Advising in relation to a number of water and wastewater treatment plants procured on FIDC terms.
- Arbitration references to hearing under LCIA, ICC and local rules.
Chambers & Partners, 2020
Rory is recognised as "a strong and tough negotiator who is protective of his clients' rights".
Legal 500, 2020
Rory "is a standout individual. He is practical and commercial in equal measures".
Chambers & Partners, 2019
Rory receives numerous plaudits from clients and “takes a commercial, practical approach."
Legal 500, 2019
“Leading Individual” Rory Kirrane is celebrated as an “excellent advocate”.
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
Rory frequently speaks on construction and arbitration related matters at the International Bar Association Annual Conference, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Engineers Ireland and the Law Society of Ireland.