Our highly regarded Planning & Environment team has unparalleled experience of advising on the highest profile projects and most complex cases in Ireland. We advise state bodies, banks, developers, contractors, engineers, and other construction professionals on all energy, planning and environmental matters.
We regularly represent our clients in High Court, Commercial Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court matters as well as before the Court of Justice of the European Union. As well as acting for our clients in contentious matters, our team advises on the preparation of applications for consents before the Irish planning authority. This includes representation at pre-application meetings with An Bord Pleanála, advising on Environmental Impact Assessment and Appropriate Assessment including the preparation of Environmental Impact Statements and Nature Impact Statements.
- Strategic Infrastructure Development
- Judicial Review and Planning Injunctions
- Compulsory Acquisition and Property Arbitration
- Environmental Impact Assessment and Appropriate Assessment
- Strategic Environmental Assessment
- Projects of Common Interest
- Waste Management and Contaminated Land
- Project Planning & Environmental Due Diligence
- Noise and Air Pollution and Nuisance
- Foreshore Leases and Licences
- The Major Accident Directive
- Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC) Licences
Legal 500, 2021
Tier 1 ranked team which is described as “highly responsive and adaptable resources. The MHC team have an in depth knowledge of the Irish legal/planning system and associated processes and best practice around environmental assessment etc. and mitigation of legal risks."
Legal 500, 2020
The team "provides the legal expertise on planning and environment matters that is backed up with unrivalled experience in delivering major infrastructure".
Legal 500, 2019
“Unique experience in the power utility infrastructure area”.
- Acting in a number of judicial review proceedings for a state developer of a nationally important strategic infrastructure project which were all dismissed
- Acting for a statutory body in the defense of judicial review proceedings on a Strategic Development Zone Planning Scheme
- Acting for a large wind farm developer in a judicial review of a planning authority decision to refuse consent which was successfully quashed
- Advising on the Strategic Environmental Assessments and Appropriate Assessments of plans of public authorities
- Acting in proceedings under the Waste Management Act in the Commercial Court
- Advising a state developer on statutory powers to access lands for construction
- Advising a State body on compulsory acquisition
- Acting for a large developer in proceedings which successfully challenged the decision of a local authority to make a compulsory acquisition order
- Acting for a large student accommodation developer in successfully striking out planning injunction proceedings