Share schemes and equity incentives can be a vital tool for any company in attracting, retaining and motivating employees. However, there are many legal and practical aspects to be considered when establishing and maintaining incentive schemes. If a scheme is to be effective, it must be consistent with the business’s overall strategy and stage of development. As the strategy evolves or the business grows, existing arrangements should be reviewed to ensure they remain fit for purpose.
There are many types of share based incentives available for both public and private companies. We typically advise clients on the effective structuring, design, implementation and on-going management of schemes.
We provide advice and support in the following areas:
- Designing schemes
- Drafting scheme documentation
- Obtaining Revenue approval, if relevant
- Irish tax advice concerning the design and implementation of schemes
- Implementation and communication of schemes to employees
- Ongoing administration of schemes and adapting them in light of changes in law or business requirements
To find out more about how we can assist you with your employee share incentive arrangements, please contact one of the team members shown adjacent.
Legal 500, 2016
Chambers Europe, 2016
"Everything you'd expect from a top law firm"
Chambers Europe, 2015
"Client-focused and commercially prgamatic"
"Ability to identify the problems and solve them before they arise"
- Designed and obtained Irish Revenue approval for a new “Save As You Earn” (SAYE) scheme for a UK listed company.
- Analysed the impact of a US corporate spin off on the group’s Irish share incentive arrangements.
- Advised a global technology business on the Irish tax implications of a bespoke share option arrangement targeted at key employees.
- Advised a large multinational company on severance terms in connection with the removal of its CEO which involved providing detailed advice on the operation and termination of share options.
- Advised a large global group on the operation of its incentive compensation plan in Ireland.
- Involved in a cutting edge case relating to the complex rules of an international stock option scheme.