Conor is a partner in our Financial Services Team specialising in the field of investment funds and asset management. He regularly advises leading international asset managers on carrying on business in Ireland and in particular on the establishment, structuring and operation of all types of collective investment schemes.
Conor has significant experience in advising investors, promoters, fund managers and investment banks on the ongoing operation of traditional and alternative investment funds including UCITS, hedge funds, funds of funds and private equity funds.
Conor also advises clients more broadly on matters related to the financial sector, including anti-money laundering regulations and advises service providers such as asset managers, administrators, depositaries and prime brokers.
- Investment Funds
- Asset Management
- Establishing a UCITS for Vermeer Investment Management Limited.
- Advising on the establishment of an Irish QIAIF for the acquisition of a private equity investment in a US debt settlement, commercial judgments and factoring business.
- Representing Appian Asset Management Limited in the establishment of a limited liquidity property fund.
- Representing Mitsubishi UFJ in its acquisition of UBS’s fund administration business.
- Establishing a UCITS for Comeragh Capital LLP.
- Establishing a Qualifying Investor Alternative Investment Fund (QIAIF) for an asset manager in the acquisition of Ireland's largest building.
- Advising closed-ended investment companies organised under the laws of Guernsey on the application of Prospectus Directive and the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive to the marketing of securities to institutional investors in Ireland.
- Representing a leading US credit manager on the establishment of a Qualifying Investor Alternative Investment Fund focused on investment in unregulated funds and loan origination activities.
- Advising ITC Consulting on its strategy for complying with the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive to projects involving the acquisition and development real estate.
- Acting for a leading asset manager in the establishment of UCITS with enhanced levels of leverage of up to 900% of the UCITS’ net assets.
- Establishing a UCITS for a US based asset manager and advising on regulatory issues concerning the adoption of a managed futures strategy by the investment manager.
- Acting for a Qualifying Investor Alternative Investment Fund in respect of its authorisation as an internally managed AIFM under the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive.
Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2017
"Technically very strong, extremely bright and very talented."
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
- Irish Funds New York Investment Seminar, MiFID II Impact on Fund Distribution (New York, March 2017).
- Irish Property, Debt Holding and Lending Structures – Mason Hayes & Curran Seminar, with guest speaker Mr Frank Daly (May 2016).
- Irish Funds Chicago Seminar (Chicago, March 2016)
- Association of Pensioneer Trustees Ireland APTI Conference - Relevance of the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive for Pensioneer Trustees (October 2015)
- Association of Compliance Officers Ireland (ACOI): UCITS V – Remuneration Requirements (June 2015)
- COO Connect webinar: UCITS V - The AIFMD for mutual funds (October 2014).
- AIFMD and UCITS IV & V - 24th Oxford Offshore Symposium (Oxford, September 2014).
- 3rd Annual Fund Congress (London, March 2014).
- Fund Marketing and Distribution - A Conference Presented by Informa (London, December 2013).
- Depositary Liability under AIFMD - The Offshore Investment Conference (Dublin, May 2013).
Kickstarting the EU Economy – Hope Lies with the Capital Markets Union - MHC Times (September 2015)
ICAV for Christmas (August 2014)
UCITS V - Aligning with AIFMD (April 2014)
The World’s Leading Financial and Trust Centres – Ireland Chapter (Sweet and Maxwell, Second edition 2014)
The growing power of depositories, post-AIFMD - HFM Weekly (March 2013)
Areas of Expertise
Financial Regulation Law
Law Society of Ireland
Legal and Regulatory Committee of Irish Funds
International Bar Association
University College Dublin, Bachelor of Civil Law
University College Dublin, Master of Law (LLM) in Commercial Laws
Law Society of Ireland, Diploma in Financial Services