We have a dedicated team of specialist pensions lawyers that provide a full range of services to our domestic and multinational clients. Our team establish a clear understanding of clients’ needs and provide a service which is solutions and results focused. We represent a broad range of clients including employers, pension scheme trustees, public sector clients, representative bodies and scheme members in all aspects of pensions law.
We work closely with colleagues in Employment, Tax and Corporate to ensure that clients have a comprehensive range of advice available to them on issues within these specialist areas which are of relevance to pensions.
What Pensions Arrangement to Choose?
- Our Pensions Team assist clients in exploring and identifying the type of pension arrangement that best meets clients’ requirements. There are numerous options available and our knowledge can assist clients in making the appropriate choice.
Pension Plan Design & Implementation
- We are involved in all aspects of pension plan design and implementation. Typically, this involves drafting or reviewing a wide range of documentation for all types of pension plan. We have expertise in drafting pension trust documentation, member specific communications and agreements entered into with third party service providers.
Legal 500, 2020
The team "present advice in a simple clear manner".
Irish Pensions Awards 2019
Law Firm of the Year
Chambers & Partners, 2019
“Highly regarded” team who are “excellent advisers” and provide “excellent guidance”.
Chambers & Partners, 2019
“Very approachable and available”.
Legal 500, 2019
“Incredibly pragmatic and commercial” and “operates with high degrees of expertise, efficiency and proactivity”.
Legal 500, 2019
“Fast” and “very responsive” with “exemplary knowledge of pension legislation”.
- Pension Plan Restructuring: Our team has extensive experience in advising clients on pension plan restructuring and amendment. Such changes may be required due to a legislative amendment or as a result of a corporate decision. We have provided invaluable advice and on-going assistance to employers and trustees who have undertaken these “change” projects.
- Communicating With Relevant Parties: Our Pensions Team regularly liaise with the various pensions regulatory authorities such as the Pensions Authority, Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman and the Revenue Commissioners.
- Risk Reduction Exercises: In recent years a large number of defined benefit pension schemes have sought to reduce their exposure to financial risk. We have advised a large number of trustees and employers on risk reduction exercises such as pension increase exchanges, enhanced transfer value exercises or pension buy-in/buy-out exercises.
- Trustee Advice & Training: The decisions made and actions taken by trustees are key to the effective functioning of a pension plan. Our Pensions Team provides trustee advisory and training services in order to assist them in performing their role effectively and in line with the ever increasing regulatory requirements.
- IORP II Preparedness: Our Pensions Team has worked with employers and trustees to make sure that they are ready for the impact of the European IORP II Pensions Directive. We have also advised a representative body on the impact this legislation will have on its members.
- Pension Plan Wind-Up: We regularly advise on issues that need to be addressed before, during and following the wind-up of a pension plan. We have extensive experience in providing such advice to employers and trustees alike.
- Cross Border Pension Schemes: The establishment of a cross border pension scheme is difficult and involves the completion of a number of legislative tasks. We have experience in advising on how best to establish a cross border pension scheme so that the relevant legislative provisions are not infringed.
- GDPR: We have extensive experience in providing pensions specific advice on the impact of GDPR. Pension schemes are acutely affected by the new requirements of the GDPR. Our specialist pensions lawyers have advised trustees and employers on their revised obligations and how to ensure that they are compliant with the new regime.
- Service Provider Advice: We regularly advise pensions product providers, working with them to ensure that their products are designed and operated in a manner that is compliant with the relevant legislative provisions.
- Contentious Pensions Matters: We advise clients in relation to Pensions Authority or Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman investigations. We also provide advice in relation to a wide range of pensions disputes and contentious pensions matters generally. We have successfully represented clients in applications before the WRC and the Labour Court.
- Corporate Support: We regularly advise on the pensions aspects of corporate transactions, including completing due diligence exercises and negotiating and drafting the required commercial documentation.
- Publications and Pensions Industry Participation: Our Pensions Team are active within specialist pensions industry organisations including the Association of Pensions Lawyers in Ireland, the Irish Association of Pension Funds, the Pensions Committee of the Law Society of Ireland, the International Pension and Employment Benefit Lawyers Association (IPEBLA), the Irish ProShare Association (IPSA) and the Association of Pension Trustees (APTI).