Our dedicated team of Education lawyers are widely acknowledged as market leaders. We provide robust, practical and strategic advice to educational institutions. The education sector faces its own particular challenges, and our ability to draw upon our education expertise in all areas such as employment, conflict resolution, corporate governance, child protection, and litigation means that we are ideally placed to offer a comprehensive service to our clients.
Our clients include secondary schools, over 800 primary schools, universities, technology institutes, Education and Training Boards, third level colleges and other educational establishments.
We also act for primary and secondary management bodies including the CPSMA, the JMB, the ACCS and the ETBI, education trust companies including ERST, Le Chéile and Ceist, and the Child and Family Agency’s Education Welfare Service (previously the NEWB)
Our team has been responsible for some of the most important legal precedents established in education and employment law over the last number of years. Our experience in the education sector is unrivalled.
- HR issues and industrial disputes
- Equality and disability issues
- Judicial Review proceedings (defending and initiating same)
- Child protection obligations
- Enrolment, Suspension and Expulsion issues
- Disciplinary proceedings/Competency procedures
- Student conduct and discipline issues
- Litigation and Dispute Management
- Governance, structures and finance
- Governance, statutory interpretation and compliance with relevant legislation and Government circulars and guidelines
- Whistleblowing / Protected Disclosures
Chambers & Partners Europe, Europe's Leading Lawyers, 2016
"everything you'd expect from a top firm"
- We successfully challenged the decision of a statutory appeal body (S.29 Education Act) in the High Court for a Board of Management of an oversubscribed Gaelscoil. The school’s execution of its admissions policy which prioritises children who are raised as Irish speakers, was upheld.
- We are currently representing an Education and Training Board in the defence of judicial review proceedings brought in the High Court arising from the investigation of serious complaints against a senior employee.
- We recently successfully defended in the Workplace Relations Commission a claim of discriminatory dismissal taken under the Employment Equality Acts on the grounds that the employee concerned was pregnant at the time. The claim arose from the termination of a fixed term contract of employment in a second level school.
- We are currently providing on-going advice in relation to the defence of employment litigation across a range of clients in the education sector.