Environment About Us
We are committed to reducing energy consumption, minimising waste, reducing water consumption, encouraging greener modes of transport, and generally encouraging a culture of sustainability and an awareness of our impact on the environment.
We have implemented an Environmental Management System which recently re-certified the ISO 14001 certification from the National Standards Authority of Ireland.
In 2020, we won the Green Professional Services Award at the Green Awards and in 2021 and 2022 we were finalists in that category.
Some examples of our initiatives include:
- Every new staff member receives environmental induction
- Our Green Month flagship initiative is held early each year for the last five years and brings pan-firm engagement in environmentally sustainable practices. There is a range of practical initiatives and a range of educational talks, activities, and workshops. Examples include no car day, vegfest and plant something day. The initiative has led to tangible long lasting results. For example, following the first Green Month our re-cycling of dry mixed goods increased by 85
- Encouraging energy efficiency. Some 45% of our electricity comes from renewable energy sources
- All lighting is zoned, and sensor led
- All PC’s have power management systems
- Reduced water consumption. Due to COVID-19, the taps in our bathrooms were programmed to release only a certain amount of water
- Our last premises’ fit-out was particularly energy efficient with LED lighting and a heat recovery mechanism
- Minimising consumption of paper and promoting the idea of a paperless office. Internal policies ensure minimum paper usage. Since June 2021, seven departments have completed their paperless projects with over 555,249 pages scanned and 41,669 files scanned. Over 90% of the scanned documents need to be shredded which means there is only a small amount for archiving
- Staff are provided with double screens which reduces printing. Shredding and recycling units are available on every floor. We make every effort to shred and recycle all paper documents no longer required on the premises, which protects both the environment and client confidentiality
- Previously binders used in MHC were dismantled and taken away by a waste provider, but our new process is that the current supplier is now responsible for the collection and the recycling of the binders
- Minimising waste through a series of initiatives which includes the provision of compost bins on every floor
- Our café promotes reusable delft and crockery, and any disposable crockery or cutlery is fully compostable
- The complete elimination of plastic giveaways at client and staff events
- We encourage greater use of travel by foot, bicycle, and public transport. We have taken out car parking spaces and replaced them with bicycle cages
- We have reduced the number of energy suppliers from 4 down to 1 and are purchasing Green Energy only