Liam is a partner in our Dispute Resolution team, practising in commercial litigation. He is a deeply experienced lawyer with a long history of acting in contractual and tortious litigation, principally for plaintiffs in many landmark cases. His clients include leading corporates both Irish and international, NGOs, charities and private citizens. Liam has appeared as an advocate in many Courts, Inquiries and Tribunals.
In recent years he has been involved in a number of high profile independent reviews and investigations, including authoring a report which was lodged with the CBI. He has acted for a number of financial institutions in regulatory investigations.
Liam is also a qualified arbitrator and an accredited mediator with CEDR (Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution).
- Commercial Litigation
- Inquiries, Independent Reviews and Investigations
- Insurance and Professional Risk
- Conducting an independent review of a large multi-jurisdictional asset disposal involving a number of simultaneous investigations/inquiries.
- Acting for a plaintiff plc in a multi-jurisdictional contract dispute worth over €100million, which was settled at mediation.
- Advising a number of financial institutions in relation to various regulatory investigations/enforcement by the Central Bank.
- Advising financial institutions in relation to regulatory investigations/enforcement by the Central Bank.
- Acting for the International Transport Workers’ Federation in proceedings brought against the Irish State relating to allegations of human trafficking in the Irish fishing industry.
- Acting for a major financial institution in carrying out an independent review culminating in publishing a report which was lodged with the Central Bank.
- Acting for a Defendant in a Commercial Court case relating to calibrations at a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant.
- Representing a UK investment fund in successfully defending injunction proceedings concerning a shopping centre development.
- Representing a party in the Rio Olympics ticketing controversy and Moran Inquiry.
- Advising parties in statutory Commissions of Investigation and public tribunals.
- Representing plaintiffs in professional negligence actions against their former accountants and solicitors, culminating in successful settlements.
Legal 500, 2019
Liam is praised by clients for being “able and experienced'.
Legal 500, 2018
Liam Guidera is a “standout lawyer” whose “views are taken very seriously by investigators”.
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
- Tutor in University College Dublin in Constitutional Law and Property
- Member of an Expert Group on Law Reform
- Lecturing on litigation in Law Society of Ireland, CIArb and Central Legal Training
- Member of Law Society ADR Committee
'The Art of the Deal' - article on mediation in Art Law disputes in The Resolver magazine by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Areas of Expertise
Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Accredited Mediator, CEDR
Member of Law Society ADR Committee
Irish Commercial Mediation Association
Dublin Solicitors' Bar Association
DRI (Dispute Resolution International)
Law Society of Ireland
University College Dublin, (BCL)
Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution, (Mediator)