Liam is a partner in our Dispute Resolution team, practising in commercial litigation. He is a deeply experienced lawyer with a long history of acting in contractual and tortious litigation principally for plaintiffs in many landmark cases. His experience includes acting for two of Ireland’s former Taoisigh (Prime Ministers) in public inquiries. Liam has appeared as an advocate in many Courts, Inquiries and Administrative Tribunals.
In recent years he has been involved in a number of high profile independent reviews and investigations, including authoring a report which was lodged with the regulator.
He also has a practice in insurance and professional risk. He has acted for both plaintiffs and defendants/insurers in defamation cases and all types of liability claims, including catastrophic and fatal injuries, maritime accidents, asbestos-related claims, medical and professional negligence suits.
Liam is a qualified arbitrator and has a particular interest in mediation.
- Commercial Litigation
- Inquiries, Independent Reviews and Investigations
- Insurance and Professional Risk
- Acting in an independent review of a large multi-jurisdictional asset disposal.
- Acting for a major financial institution in carrying out an independent review culminating in publishing a report which was lodged with the Central Bank.
- Acting for a plaintiff plc in a multi-jurisdictional contract dispute worth over €100million, which was settled at mediation.
- Advising financial institutions in relation to regulatory investigations/enforcement by the Central Bank.
- Acting for a Defendant in a Commercial Court case relating to calibrations at a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant.
- Representing a party in the Rio Olympics ticketing controversy and Moran Inquiry.
- Advising parties in two recently established statutory Commissions of Investigation.
- Acting for a UK property investor/landlord defending a claim from an anchor tenant in a major Dublin shopping centre seeking an injunction preventing the development from proceeding.
- Acting for partners in dispute in prominent professional services practises.
- Representing plaintiffs in professional negligence actions against their former accountants and solicitors, culminating in successful settlements.
- Acting for the families of deceased crewmen in the Tit Bonhomme trawler tragedy.
- Representing a Garda who sustained life threatening injuries culminating in a record award of €1.1m damages by the High Court.
Legal 500, 2019
Liam is praised by clients for being “able and experienced'.
Legal 500, 2018
Liam Guidera is a “standout lawyer” whose “views are taken very seriously by investigators”.
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
- Tutor in University College Dublin in Constitutional Law and Property
- Member of an Expert Group on Law Reform
- Lecturing on litigation in Law Society of Ireland
- Member of Law Society ADR Committee
'The Art of the Deal' - article on mediation in Art Law disputes in The Resolver magazine by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Areas of Expertise
Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Member of Law Society ADR Committee
Irish Commercial Mediation Association
Dublin Solicitors' Bar Association
DRI (Dispute Resolution International)
Law Society of Ireland
University College Dublin (BCL)