Susan is a partner on our Dispute Resolution team, specialising in Construction Law. She advises clients on all issues, both contentious and non-contentious, arising on construction and engineering projects. Susan’s particular expertise lies in dispute resolution. She has acted in a wide range of construction and engineering related claims. Susan takes a practical approach to such disputes and strongly promotes early resolution of claims where appropriate.
Susan advises the education sector in relation to building projects and acts for a number of education trusts and management bodies as well as a large number of individual education institutions at primary, secondary and third level. Susan sits on the board of directors of the Le Cheile Trust, one of the largest voluntary catholic secondary schools trusts. She is on the panel of advisors to members of the Construction Industry Federation and is also on the panels of a number of large insurance companies advising in relation to professional indemnity claims in construction projects.
Susan is actively involved in the Irish Construction Industry. She is regional co-ordinator for Ireland of the Society of Construction Law which is an international organisation bringing together people from the various professions in the construction industry including lawyers, engineers, architects, quantity surveyors and project managers.
- Construction and Engineering Law
- Planning and Development Law
- Acting for the management company of a major Dublin development in a commercial court case against the owner of the development in relation to fire notices served by Dublin City Council requiring €5 million worth of remedial works to be carried out to rectify defects at the development.
- Advising client affected by a railway order in relation to issues of “planning blight” affecting a development site. Successfully challenged the railway order by way of judicial review proceedings which resulted in the relevant parts of the railway order being over turned.
- Advising a Community College in relation to serious defects discovered during a major works project. Representing the school in a conciliation arising from the failure of a contractor to carry out a direction to rectify the defects. Defending the school in a conciliation involving a claim for substantial delay.
- Acting for second level school in relation to a major building project where project ran into significant delay as a result of issues with an adjoining property which prevented the works progressing. Acting for the school in a number of conciliations dealing with contractor claims and delay. Advising the school in relation to the failure of the architect to carry out its duties under its terms of appointment. Advising the school in relation to serious defects which emerged during the defects period and acting for the school in a conciliation to deal with the defects.
- Acting for the contractor, employer and developer in a dispute involving major structural defects arising from the use of defective building materials during construction. Handling all aspects of the claim from availability of insurance cover to managing claims by homeowners and progressing claims against sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Advising education institution in relation to procurement issues on a major new school building project.
Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2017
“Excellent negotiation skills."
Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2016
"An astute negotiator."
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
- Susan regularly speaks at Construction Industry events and seminars and is praised for her practical and straight talking approach.
- Susan runs in house seminars for clients on relevant and topical construction law issues.
- As part of her role in SCL Susan organises regular events for those working in the construction industry.
- Susan regularly attends SCL events in the UK.
Areas of Expertise
Construction Law & Engineering Law
Society of Construction Law
Business member Construction Industry Federation
Health & Safety Lawyers Association of Ireland
Law Society of Ireland, H2001
University College Dublin (BBLS)
H Dip Construction Law and Contract Administration, Trinity College Dublin