John is a Partner on our Commercial team and practices as part of the Technology, Media & Telecoms and Privacy & Data Security teams.
John works closely with some of the world’s largest companies solving complex technology law issues and providing commercially focused solutions. He specialises in advising on large scale commercial arrangements, including multi-party structures involving various contractual agreements.
John also provides strategic and contractual guidance on privacy issues, including international data flows, vendor management and internal compliance programmes. His strong reputation for taking a practical and commercially led approach to intricate technology law matters has placed him as one of the go-to lawyers in this area.
- Commercial Contracts
- Technology Law
- E-commerce Law
- Data Protection and Privacy Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Consumer Law
- Emerging Technologies including: Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies, IoT, Fintech, AI, eSports, Virtual Goods, 3D Printing, Driverless Cars and Virtual & Augmented Reality
- Start-Up Law
- Working with some of the leading global technology companies such as Facebook, Qualtrics, Pinterest, Airbnb and Slack on a variety of privacy, commercial and e-commerce matters, including on the implementation and effect of GDPR and the overall EU Digital Single Market reforms.
- Working with Riot Games on the contractual arrangements relating to the establishment and operation of the League of Legends European Championship, one of the leading professional eSports competitions in the world.
- Advising the World Meeting of Families on the commercial contracts, IT, IP and privacy aspects of the various WMOF festival events, including the visit of Pope Francis to Ireland, the first visit by a reigning pontiff to Ireland since 1979.
- Advising Blackhawk Network Holdings on the commercial contracts, IT and privacy related aspects of its acquisition of Gift Voucher Shop, the operator of the One4all gift voucher business.
- Advising Virgin Media on various privacy and technology related matters, both in a B2B and a B2C context.
Legal 500, 2018
John is ranked as a "Next Generation Lawyer".
Speaking Engagements & Teaching
Lecturer, tutor and examiner for the Law Society of Irelands’ professional practice and diploma courses in the area of technology, intellectual property, privacy and commercial contracts.