Emer Gilvarry, Chairperson, Mason Hayes & Curran, pictured with the winners of the 2017 UCD Smurfit School Business Journalist Awards.
Emer Gilvarry, Chairperson, Mason Hayes & Curran, chaired the judging panel at the UCD Smurfit School Business Journalist Awards which took place in the Westbury on Monday 4 December. The awards are now in their 11th year and recognise and reward the work of business journalists throughout the country.
The winners of the 2017 awards are:
- Business News Story – Mark Paul and Ciaran Hancock, The Irish Times – for their submission ‘INM confirms clash over Newstalk bid’
- Economic Commentator/Business Analyst – Brian Carey, The Sunday Times – Foreign Direct Investment, NAMA & Independent News & Media
- Business Feature – Ian Kehoe, Sunday Business Post/RTÉ – for his TV documentary about vulture funds entitled, ‘The Great Irish Sell-off”
- Specialist Business Reporter – Mark Tighe, The Sunday Times – for his two submissions one on Denis O’Brien with the second entitled, ‘Judging the Judges’
- Business Interview – Gretchen Friemann, INM – for her interview with Jeremy Masding, CEO of Permanent TSB
- Upcoming Journalist of the Year – Peter O’Dwyer, Ireland Edition of the Times
- Technology Reporter – Adrian Weckler, INM – for his article on the Dark Web
An Outstanding Achievement Award was presented to Ingrid Miley of RTÉ for her contribution to business journalism across both radio and television in a career spanning almost 40 years.