Our Insolvency and Restructuring team is one of the largest and most highly rated in the Irish legal market today. We have acted for stakeholders in many of the high profile and complex insolvencies in Ireland over the last decade.
We act extensively for both international and Irish banks, for insolvency practitioners, both domestic and international, and we routinely assist in the sale or purchase of distressed assets either in a restructuring or through formal processes.
We have developed a strong reputation in advising clients on examinership matters and all aspects of Ireland's corporate rescue regime.
Our practice extends to advising bondholders and other debt providers as well as general creditors and shareholders in distressed situations.
We advise directors in connection with managing insolvency risk, reducing the risk of personal liability and in respect of investigations by the Director of Corporate Enforcement.
We advise clients on:
- All insolvency procedures including examinership (Ireland's corporate rescue regime) and bankruptcy
- Insolvency risk
- Insolvency related disputes
- Restructuring and reorganisation of businesses
- Obligations of directors, shareholders and creditors of entities in financial difficulty
Chambers Europe - Europe's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2017
"Very solution-focused and practical"
Legal 500, 2017
"Highly active in the real estate sector."
Chambers Europe - Europe's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2016
Chambers Europe - Europe's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2015
"We rate the team very highly for commercial awareness and understanding of business."
- We provided detailed advices to Lone Star Funds in respect of the Project Clear loan portfolio acquisition (par value of €2 billion) specifically in relation to an extensive due diligence exercise and provided further advices on possible enforcement options and risk analysis;
- We advised and assisted extensively Irish Auditing and Accounting Supervisory Authority in its new remit under the Companies Act 2014 (“2014 Act”) in relation to the regulation of liquidators.
- We acted for Invesco Real Estate Fund in the examinership of Debenhams Retail (Ireland) Limited. The entity is the owner of a large shopping centre in Dublin city where Debenhams is an anchor tenant. In the course of the examinership, Debenhams sought to repudiate the lease of the premises (as well as leases of a number of its other premises). We successfully advised the client throughout the process and ultimately avoided the lease of a key anchor tenant being repudiated.
- We continue to advise on multiple large scale receivership projects, involving numerous portfolios of residential and mixed use commercial investment properties for multiple lenders, arising from distressed loans with a combined value of €3 billion.