With extensive experience in the Irish healthcare sector, we advise public and private hospitals, hospices and other voluntary healthcare providers on structuring and corporate governance issues.
We regularly assist section 38 and 39 agencies to meet the governance standards required of them, including obligations arising under their Annual Compliance Statement and Service Arrangement with the HSE together with the laws, codes and good governance practices referred to within them. Such assistance includes ensuring that the governing instrument and governance policies of the organisation are up-to-date, meet the standards required by the HSE and reflect principles of good governance.
We assist charitable healthcare providers in ensuring that they meet their obligations under the Charities Act 2009. For healthcare providers holding a charitable tax exemption, we regularly advise on the regulatory and compliance obligations imposed by the Revenue Commissioners.
We regularly advise hospitals and other organisations on proposed mergers and changes to the structure within which they currently provide their services.
We advise hospitals and their boards in a number of areas:
- Healthcare Law
- Commercial Contracts
- Data Protection
- Privacy and Contract Terms
- Pensions Law
- Property Law
- Annually, we author a Compliance Manual which can be used by our clients to demonstrate compliance with each of the requirements of the HSE’s Annual Compliance Statement, including board and corporate governance arrangements, Department of Health circulars and Department of Public Expenditure and Reform circulars.
- We have advised various healthcare providers on their mergers with other healthcare organisations, which advice includes all aspects of a large scale mergers & acquisitions transaction, but critically, the advice was tailored to the healthcare sector and the specific and additional issues that therefore need to be addressed, including adherence to the requirements of the HSE and charity law.
- We have assisted section 38 agencies to prepare for the governance audit carried out by Deloitte on behalf of the HSE. We have also assisted clients to respond to Deloitte’s reported findings.
- We assist many section 38 and 39 agencies with various aspects of ongoing adherence to HSE requirements, including (to the extent appropriate) compliance with the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies, the HSE Code of Governance, NFR-18 (Protecting the State’s Interest) and the establishment of committees and the drafting of accompanying terms of reference.