Richard is a Partner in our Commercial Litigation Group and conducts a wide range of commercial litigation.
Since 2005 Richard has headed our dedicated, cross-departmental Intellectual Property Unit. This development has allowed us to provide seamless IP advice across contentious and non-contentious matters and to harness the experience of the firm in this practice area.
As a litigator Richard personally carries out an extensive practice encompassing many aspects of contentious intellectual property law, including brand and trademark protection, copyright issues, patent infringement and revocation, software, media and entertainment issues. Richard has an extensive practice in the area of social media, advising Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Yelp.
Richard has for many years represented the firm at the annual conferences of INTA and Marques, as well as being a current member of the Licensing Executive Society. Richard has also published an article in the EIPR (European Intellectual Property Review) and has presented at the annual Marques (Association of European Trademark Owners) Conference.
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Acting for Facebook and Twitter in defending High Court proceedings and High Court injunction applications relating to issues such as defamation, privacy and data protection and advising on take down requests and Norwich Pharmacal applications.
- Issuing High Court proceedings on behalf of large Irish food manufacturer, Kerry Foods plc, for trade mark infringement and passing off.
- Litigating alleged breaches of software licensing agreements and infringements of copyright in software.
- Defending and prosecuting claims for patent infringement and prosecuting patent revocation proceedings.
- Prosecuting proceedings to amend the Irish Trademark Register.
- Advising large European manufacturers regarding their registered and unregistered design rights and the enforceability of same in the Republic of Ireland.
- Acting for multinational corporations including Cable & Wireless, Brightpoint, Quest Software, Bertelsman, Cheapflights (cheapflights.com) or their Irish subsidiaries in interlocutory injunction applications and other disputes concerning alleged breach of copyright.
- Successfully defending Yelp in High Court proceedings in respect of alleged on-line defamation.
- Advising Ryder Cup Limited in protecting and enforcing its intellectual property rights in Ireland and prosecuting infringement proceedings when required.
- Advised LIDL on all aspects of intellectual property to include acting on their behalf in injunctive proceedings brought in relation to an alleged trademark infringement.
- Acting for Pfizer in obtaining a Search and Seizure order from an Irish court in support of proceedings before the (UK) Royal Courts of Justice, a first in this jurisdiction;
- Acting for Boost Energy Drinks, an English company, in defense of community trade mark infringement proceedings taken by Red Bull;
- Acting for XS Direct, an Irish insurer, in Commercial Court proceedings arising from alleged breach of its software copyright;
- Conducting Commercial Court proceedings on behalf of an institutional investor seeking recovery of seven figure sum invested in complex derivative financial products;
- Defending insurer’s decisions to decline cover in a number of unrelated cases, both at arbitration and before the Commercial Court;
- Defending a range of Irish law firms in a number of cases of alleged professional negligence arising out of complex corporate, financial and banking transactions, usually before the Commercial Court;
- Prosecuting Irish and Community Trade Mark infringement proceedings, for example successfully restraining the introduction of infringing own brand products, preventing unapproved licensing activities centered on a major sporting event and preventing former Agent from continuing to use former Principal’s marks.
World Trademark Review, 2013
Richard is recommended in his field of Intellectual Property. An experienced commercial litigator, group head Richard Woulfe is an "intelligent and likeable IP lawyer with a dynamic and responsive practice”.
World Trademark Review, 2012
Richard is recommended in his field of Intellectual Property - Enforcement and Litigation. Heading the group is Richard Woulfe, a commercial litigator who is “highly respected for his outstanding courtroom performances”.
Chambers Europe - Europe's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2013
Richard is recommended as a Leader in his field of 'Intellectual Property' category. Department head Richard Woulfe is praised for his “practical approach. He goes beyond pure legal advice and offers great business advice.” An experienced litigator, he is recommended for his work on IP disputes.
Chambers Europe - Europe's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, 2012
Richard is recommended as a Leader in his Field of ‘Intellectual Property’ category. 'Litigator Richard Woulfe heads the IP team. He advises on trade mark, copyright and patent protection, and enforcement. As one source declares, “he explains complex issues very simply and has a good commercial eye for litigation. He really understands what the client is trying to achieve”.
Legal 500, 2011
Richard is recommended in the area of ‘Intellectual Property’. ‘Under Richard Woulfe, Mason Hayes & Curran’s practice has grown significantly in recent years.’ He is also recommended in the area of ‘Employment’.
Which Lawyer? Practical Law Company, 2010
Richard is recommended as a lawyer in the area of ‘Intellectual property’.